Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#251483  by MikeF

doepack wrote:As to whether or not construction is actually complete yet, I have no idea
Actually complete? It's barely begun.

#251635  by doepack

MikeF wrote:Actually complete? It's barely begun.
Is that right? Although I rode through there on my recent NCS trip, I couldn't really tell what kind of progress was being made since we blew through there at 60mph. I drove over there last fall, which was the last time I was in the area, and the strange thing is I remember seeing some construction equipment along the tracks just east of the Cragin station, and it appeared space was being cleared out for the new station, although actual platform construction hadn't started yet. Apparently, very little has changed since then...
metraRI wrote:Are NCS trains going to actually stop at the new station...or is it just included with the NCS New Start Funding?
The NCS New Start funding package was initially supposed to include construction of the new Cicero station, unless there's been a change of plans contributing to the delay. Since NCS passengers could still transfer to Milw-West trains at either Western or River Grove, I don't see a reason for NCS trains to stop at Cicero when (or if) it gets built, but that's just a guess...

#290278  by metraRI

Looks like Buffalo Grove is getting what they want, a new NCS schedule goes into effect on Monday. New express trains were added, the current 5:00 outbound train was split into a 4:58 and 5:01. Wonder how busy each of those trains will be.

#290545  by doepack

The addition of the two morning and evening rush hour express trains definitely adds much needed service flexiblity, but there's still that long four-hour midday gap between trains. Creating a noon departure from both Antioch and CUS would've spaced the midday service more evenly, instead of the current CUS departures of 9am, 11am, and 3pm.

Now that NCS is getting additional equipment, maybe Metra will finally start using at least one of all those "surplus" cab cars that are so common on this line...

#290555  by metraRI

With NCS's new schedule, the only station getting additional trains is O'hare Transfer. While the newest stations to NCS (Rosemont-Schiller Pk.-Franklin Pk.) are losing 3 trains. Time is cut from the schedule, but I don't know if the changes were necessary. In comparison Metra seems in no hurry to fix SWS's 2:40-4:30 gap, with the 4:30 train being able to fill 9 cars.

#290593  by doepack

But on the flip side, the new NCS rush hour express trains serving Libertyville and Grayslake have a lot of potential, especially since these trains will augment current express service on MDN, giving commuters an additional option, while serving the steadily growing population of Lake County. Besides, two of the three closer-in stations that are losing trains aren't attracting that many riders anyway, with Rosemont's depot being just off the expressway in the middle of nowhere. And even though the new express trains won't serve Franklin Park, plenty of express service to this suburb still remains available on MDW...

#292524  by doepack

Note: The following message originally appeared on another list by noted Chicago area transit advocate Adam Kerman, and I thought I'd forward it here for additional discussion. I don't agree with everything, but I do admit some of his ideas are intriguing...

Could we make North Central a decent commuter railroad?

The railroad has never suffered from a shortage of parking, buying land (or
leasing from Com Ed) to expand parking lots that weren't overflowing.

The area it serves has a growing population.

Should it be rerouted so that riders have shorter trips to downtown, even
though that means not serving O'Hare Transfer?

How do we reroute it?

Here are options I'm thinking about:

1) Antioch, Lake Villa, Round Lake Beach. Grayslake, Prairie Crossing

During rush hours, the Milwaukee North trains that turn at Lake Forest or
Deerfield could be extended to Antioch. The Fox Lake sub operates
peak-direction only during peak times, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Somewhere at Prairie Crossing, an elaborate electronic sign will be needed
to alert passengers which railroad the next train will be on.

Midday? Hard to justify full consists to both Fox Lake and Antioch via
Milwaukee North. Make it a branch line, keeping in mind that the feeder bus
service was unpopular. Need turnback at Prairie Crossing.

Most of the parking at Prairie Crossing will be closer to the wrong
railroad.

Big advantage: Faster ride to downtown. No need to double-track CN-WC at US
45 in Mundelein, a most expensive obstacle to overcome.

2) Mundelein, Vernon Hills, Prairie View, Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, Prospect
Heights

Build turnout at Deval; change route to downtown via UP Northwest. There's
no funding for construction of a new subway/cut for US 14, which would
interfere with construction of the turnout; doubt it's an issue.

Big advantage: Faster ride to downtown. Perhaps CN will complain less about
more trains since they'll be on the railroad only part of the way.

Disadvantage: North Western Station in lieu of Chicago Union Station.

Solution: Change terminals to North Western Station for other North Central
Service runs that use Milwaukee North or Milwaukee West at A-2

3) O'Hare Transfer, Rosemont, Schiller Park, Franklin Park

Do we just give up on these stations, make people transfer to Route 250 at
Des Plaines to get to O'Hare People Mover (which does avoid using Parking
Lot E to Parking Lot F shuttle). Passengers using Franklin Park are two
blocks away from the existing Milwaukee West station.

Solution: Some sort of looping train via UP Northwest, CN-WC, Milwaukee
West. Who would ride it? If trains requiring transfers stopped at the island
platform at Des Plaines, cross-platform transferring would be possible for
many riders.

Express trains at most times for riders originating west of B-12 Franklin
Park and west of Deval? All-day service on this loop route? Is it completely
redundant of CTA Blue Line?

Alternative: Route some UP Northwest trains via O'Hare. Is there any market?

Big problem: Land acquisition at Deval for turnouts.

Higher operating costs, sure, but perhaps it would attract enough new riders
to justify all the money we've spent on capital.

#294928  by doepack

The new NCS express trains, evening rush hour trains 111 and 113, are five cars each as observed today. Neither train appeared to be very crowded, but that could be because the folks that once boarded the 17:00 local has now been spread out, since the old train has now been split into two sections. Also saw MP36 #424 on the point of 113, I've heard about MP's making occasional trips on this NCS, but until today, I thought it was just a rumor...