Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#153366  by bearclaw36

A friend mentioned to me last Saturday that Metra will only have about 10 trains/day and NO weekend/holiday service once the double-tracking project is complete. Were we sold a bill of goods?

Ed Kaplan

#153376  by metraRI

NCS all ready has 10 train each weekday, so the expected number for December is 20. Weekend service on NCS has not been mentioned, but I don't think it will happen when weekday service expands.

#153940  by NCSRider

metraRI wrote:NCS all ready has 10 train each weekday, so the expected number for December is 20. Weekend service on NCS has not been mentioned, but I don't think it will happen when weekday service expands.
Is December the timeframe for the expanded schedule? It's hard to find any info on the topic.

#156491  by JamesT4

NCSRider wrote:[Is December the timeframe for the expanded schedule? It's hard to find any info on the topic.
Thats is what I hearing from Metra Employees that the new schedules are to take effect..

Also with the new Schiller Park Station on the NCS, I am hearing that they will be new stations at Franklin Park(Not MD-W), Rosemont, and Grayslake
 #156984  by czyzewc

Yesterday "North Grays Lake" interlocking was cut in, making the CN double-track CTC through Grayslake, from Lake Street to the CP/CN diamond. Tough to plan meets between freights though, as the short section of 2MT has four grade crossings in it...

Chris
Grayslake, IL

#157310  by NCSRider

Wow, 3 new stations? And I've heard that there will be no express trains added to the schedule? That is going to make some very long rides even longer. :( I was hoping the expansion would make my commute easier, but now I'm sketpical...

#157378  by metraRI

NCSRider wrote:Wow, 3 new stations? And I've heard that there will be no express trains added to the schedule? That is going to make some very long rides even longer. :( I was hoping the expansion would make my commute easier, but now I'm sketpical...
4 new stations are going on NCS...all of which are now under construction. Schiller Park is the furthest to being completed. At the point NCS is at now, there is not a reason for express trains. I don't know how Metra determines when an express train is necessary, but I would think it depends on train capacity versus ride time.

On another note, Milwaukee West has finally started running “right” handed between at least Franklin Park and Galewood. I don't get what is going on with Elmwood Park. They built a station without a platform then make a temporary platform 50 feet east of the station.
Last edited by metraRI on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#157555  by NCSRider

metraRI wrote:At the point NCS is at now, there is not a reason for express trains. I don't know how Metra determines when an express train is necessary, but would think it depends on train capacity versus ride time.
I agree that if capacity is the deciding factor, there is probably no chance at express trains on NCS. But it seems that given the number of stops on the NCS, and the ground it covers, it would be reasonable to give people further out a few express options so you're not on the train for well over an hour.

From what I can tell, the only lines that don't have express trains are HC and SWS - but both of these lines seem to have less stops and can make it to the end of the line within an hour as a result. With NCS, the hour mark comes up as quickly as Prairie View. I think many commuters like myself (from Mundelein) are already frustrated with the length of the ride, and it sounds like things are going to get even worse... :( Oh well, at least we'll hopefully have more trains to choose from.

#157583  by metraRI

If Metra did decide to add an express on NCS, I could see it going from CUS-Buffalo Grove. From 2002 ridership records, Buffalo Grove is the only station that stands out for having over 500+ boardings each weekday. Every other station between Prospect Heights and Antioch saw between 100-300 boardings, except Prairie Crossing which had 76. Those numbers should have grown in the last 3 years. With the 3 new stations being added, an express to Buffalo Grove could save a good 15 minutes, but it probably comes down to how many people would use it. Metra has to be expecting a ridership jump on NCS, because they are making platforms quite long.

A little off topic from NCS, but----
The only way I could see SWS getting an express is if trains become jam packed, which I don’t think will happen right away. Rush hour SWS trains now are almost filled to standing room only. I’m surprised they have not added a car to the 4:57 or 5:30pm trains.

#158317  by MetraRy

i think an express that at the very least skips the MDW stops is needed. This line is an extremly long ride. Do actual commuters use the o'hare stop? If not skiping that on a few rushhour trains might be good. plus now that MDN stops at prarie crossing i think it should be skipped on a alternate basis.

#158407  by metraRI

O'Hare Transfer does see a small amount of passengers, at least on the 1:25 outbound and 3:29 inbound. I wonder how many people use Prairie Crossing during rush hour...MILW-N has more trains and takes less time. The best time for the stop at Prairie Crossing is afternoon inbound when MILW-N trains start at Deerfield.

#158526  by NCSRider

MetraRy wrote:i think an express that at the very least skips the MDW stops is needed. This line is an extremly long ride. Do actual commuters use the o'hare stop? If not skiping that on a few rushhour trains might be good. plus now that MDN stops at prarie crossing i think it should be skipped on a alternate basis.
Agreed. I hope folks at Metra are thinking some of the same things.

As for O'Hare, in the mornings, I generally see 6-10 people get off at O'Hare, no one gets on. They mostly seem to be commuters, but you do see travelers once in a while. The 4:25 outbound seems to collect a lot of people at O'Hare, other than that it's just a few people here and there. I think the answer to your question, though, is no - my impression is that there are few (if any) commuters that originate at O'Hare. It's more of a destination.

#158556  by Tadman

Metra doesn't push their O'Hare service at all - I didn't even know there was a stop at O'Hare. If they advertised on the radio I bet ridership would jump.

#158666  by metraRI

Considering O'Hare Transfer does not have a Metra parking lot, I doubt the purpose of the station was meant for commuters going downtown for work. You will probably see a bigger push for O'Hare Transfer when trains stop through out the day. The new Rosemont Station would probably be used most for commuters who live around O'Hare for commuting.

#160918  by NCSRider

Here's a short item from what looks like a local Des Plaines newspaper on the NCS expansion. I'm not sure whether to trust it since it mentions the NCS adding a stop in Cicero (they must mean at Cicero Ave.?), but the thing that jumped out at me is the statement that Metra will double service to 20 trains a day "by the end of 2006." And here my hopes were up for expanded service by end of 2005. :(

http://www.journal-topics.com/ph/05/ph050817.3.html