Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1639747  by NHV 669

jfwjr1 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:13 am Anybody think a non profit 501C3 set up to fund the Conway Branch restoration to Ossipee would make sense and work? I already know of someone who would donate $10,000 as a start
If you're expecting a quick return, you're going to be sorely disappointed... $10k will get you maybe 5 or 6 feet of new track, and class I at that as pointed out by MEC 407.

Restoring the track without any formally expressed operator interest of using it seems rather short-sighted. Especially when you're looking at a price tag well over $20 million just to bump along at 10mph.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1639750  by NHV 669

Goddraug wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:01 am Doesn’t the state also owe it to any railroad to publish a final RFP before removal of the tracks? I fear the precedent that could be set by this.

They've already put out one or two that nobody bit on, suddenly everyone's interested now that the tracks are under threat of removal.
 #1639751  by Goddraug

I mean, yeah. Threatening to remove tracks does tend to get potential users out of the woodworks when they realize the option of rail is about to disappear for a long while, if not forever.

Probably also helps that, since the last two RFPs were put out, Pan Am Railways has been taken over by CSX. Many I’ve spoken to in the industry say that fact alone has been a pretty key part of getting industries to at the very least consider rail once more.
 #1639760  by jfwjr1

Yes fully agree that 10,000 gets just a few feet….
That 10,000, is without even formally asking anyone… although this person stated he would contribute each year until he died. Wonder if Warren Buffet would help out…
I think the point and value is, it represents a complete reversal in position, and a positive message.

Boston & Maine retained freight rights as part of giving the line up. Does that imply they were transferred to Pan Am and now CSX?
 #1639776  by Who

Goddraug wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:10 pm I mean, yeah. Threatening to remove tracks does tend to get potential users out of the woodworks when they realize the option of rail is about to disappear for a long while, if not forever.

Probably also helps that, since the last two RFPs were put out, Pan Am Railways has been taken over by CSX. Many I’ve spoken to in the industry say that fact alone has been a pretty key part of getting industries to at the very least consider rail once more.
Pan Am removed from the pictures is a big one. I also want to add the Conway Scenic is under new ownership too, I think the last RFP was sent out right before the sale. Between them expressing interest, the potential freight customers in Tamworth and the railbike venture in Madison, I think it would be wise for NHDOT to submit another RFP before pulling the plug completely.
 #1639782  by Fritz

Hello,
As Casey noted, the three Ohio Central coaches are stored at the NHCR shops in North Stratford. Those are some nice looking cars, at least from the outside, but then I am partial to Tuscan red (probably from first riding the N&W when I was a kid). It was a little far, but I also think the two ex-MEC MOW cars are stored at the south end of their yard.
Best,
Fritz
 #1639786  by BandA

What do the Ohio Central coaches look like? In my mind, coaches should be wooden, narrow, painted the chromium yellow of the Cranberry Belt Line, or stainless steel. Engines should be black and steamy, or a vibrant non-faded blue with a giant B&M on them. Cabooses should be red of course, as they are in song.

Actually there are may wonderful liveries.
 #1639798  by NHV 669

These are the three cars, seen passing the VR cam at Springfield enroute to CSRX.
Screenshot_20240118_231834_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240118_231834_YouTube.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 929 times
Most of the paint schemes reflect 1950s/60s B&M colors. why would they use a color scheme from an unrelated theme park train? 1741 would be the first locomotive to get B&M blue. They don't use cabooses on any regular trains, so worrying about schemes for one is a moot point.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1639828  by CPF66

NHV 669 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:25 am
jfwjr1 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:13 am Anybody think a non profit 501C3 set up to fund the Conway Branch restoration to Ossipee would make sense and work? I already know of someone who would donate $10,000 as a start
If you're expecting a quick return, you're going to be sorely disappointed... $10k will get you maybe 5 or 6 feet of new track, and class I at that as pointed out by MEC 407.

Restoring the track without any formally expressed operator interest of using it seems rather short-sighted. Especially when you're looking at a price tag well over $20 million just to bump along at 10mph.
Exactly, I think the going rate for new ties is roughly $200 a tie while relays used to be around $100 a few years ago. Tourist railroads can normally reopen track for a lower cost, depending on the condition of the existing ties and roadbed, but I think its safe to say the Conway Branch is pretty shot.
 #1639830  by CPF66

Who wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:49 am The Conway Scenic has expressed interest in the branch south of Conway, hopefully the state doesn't shut the door on their face like MEDOT did last year for the Mt. Division.
That was entirely Conway Scenic's fault. The state held multiple rail trail committee meetings and no one from the railroad showed up. Mind you those started back in 2018. Until two years ago they were still proposing a rail with trail, however since no rail operators had expressed an interest to save money, that plan was scrapped and they opted to just make a trail. If Conway Scenic really wanted the line, they should have objected in 2021. Waiting until the 11th hour to come forward at the trail committee funding meeting after the trail had already been finalized was bad planning on the railroads part. They can fight it in court all they want, but I don't see a judge siding with them since they failed to enter a bid for the operation during the past few cycles.
 #1639832  by Goddraug

Conway Scenic probably didn’t have an interest in the Conway Branch (or as intense as the one they have now, anyways) until MDOT decided to tell them “no” in relation to the Mt. Division to Portland. In a very short time frame they realized that the only route they’ll have left for expanding their operations is the Groveton Branch since there’s trail groups threatening the tracks to their south, east, and west.
 #1639839  by NHV 669

I can't imagine any expansion beyond Hazens, as they already don't operate beyond Fabyans on even a seasonal basis. It's already an all day trip to Hazens if the equipment doesn't break down, plus they'd need a pilot from NHCR.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.