Railroad Forums 

• LED headlights on NJT new ALP45DP's

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1613127  by n01jd1

I have noticed that the LED headlights and ditch lights on NJTransit's newest ALP45DP's have 9-10 segments. In New Jersey, if any LED light on a motor vehicle has a segment out, the entire LED light has to be replaced or you can get a ticket. I wonder, if a segment doesnt light or has a noticeable flicker, is that considered an FRA defect and the entire LED assembly have to be replaced? I have seen cars where it has a multiple LED assembly for tail lights, the third brake light and a segment is burned out. In fact, I have seen many cars with LED's out, so it does happen. The replacement LED assembly for my third brake light is not cheap costing $ 71.22 up to $108.82. Locomotive LED headlights cost between $45.97 up to $1400. Thats not cheap either, but its something I have been thinking about. Also, the LED's do have much brighter and very harsh light. There is no way you can miss one of NJT's ALP45's
Attachments:
IMG_3417.jpg
IMG_3417.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1723 times
 #1613129  by lensovet

I would expect that FRA requirements are around specific lux levels. However, a manufacturer would only certify a fully-functioning unit rather than one with say 2 components burned out.
 #1613403  by BuddR32

Agreed,
If it meets the minimum candlepower 200,000/400,000 it would be fine to roll, Likely there are specs as to how many segments are powerful enough.

Flickering would likely be another story.

lensovet wrote:I would expect that FRA requirements are around specific lux levels. However, a manufacturer would only certify a fully-functioning unit rather than one with say 2 components burned out.