• LED headlights on NJT new ALP45DP's

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by n01jd1

I have noticed that the LED headlights and ditch lights on NJTransit's newest ALP45DP's have 9-10 segments. In New Jersey, if any LED light on a motor vehicle has a segment out, the entire LED light has to be replaced or you can get a ticket. I wonder, if a segment doesnt light or has a noticeable flicker, is that considered an FRA defect and the entire LED assembly have to be replaced? I have seen cars where it has a multiple LED assembly for tail lights, the third brake light and a segment is burned out. In fact, I have seen many cars with LED's out, so it does happen. The replacement LED assembly for my third brake light is not cheap costing $ 71.22 up to $108.82. Locomotive LED headlights cost between $45.97 up to $1400. Thats not cheap either, but its something I have been thinking about. Also, the LED's do have much brighter and very harsh light. There is no way you can miss one of NJT's ALP45's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by lensovet

I would expect that FRA requirements are around specific lux levels. However, a manufacturer would only certify a fully-functioning unit rather than one with say 2 components burned out.
  by BuddR32

Agreed,
If it meets the minimum candlepower 200,000/400,000 it would be fine to roll, Likely there are specs as to how many segments are powerful enough.

Flickering would likely be another story.

lensovet wrote:I would expect that FRA requirements are around specific lux levels. However, a manufacturer would only certify a fully-functioning unit rather than one with say 2 components burned out.