Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1636751  by Greg Moore

I've been really confused about this coverage, because it makes it sound like the Avelias haven't turned a wheel on the NEC (except perhaps to get to Philly). My understanding is they were doing a lot of testing last year and the year before.

Does this current "can start testing on the NEC" mean more like "testing like in normal operations with less oversight?"

And what exactly did the computer model testing cover?
 #1636766  by Matt Johnson

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:18 pm I've been really confused about this coverage, because it makes it sound like the Avelias haven't turned a wheel on the NEC (except perhaps to get to Philly). My understanding is they were doing a lot of testing last year and the year before.

And what exactly did the computer model testing cover?
They have definitely tested at 165+ mph on the NEC as seen at the 1:03 mark in this video but then the high speed testing stopped a couple of years ago and the only movements on the NEC have been restricted to 90 mph max. I'd be curious to know more about the computer model as well, but 14th time's a charm apparently!
 #1636851  by Railjunkie

Not to be a Debbie Downer but have we all forgotten that it took 14 attempts to get the equipment to pass. Does that not bother anyone?? Is that not like taking a square peg and just hitting it with a bigger hammer until it fits into the round hole.
Maybe it is just me...
 #1636852  by Jeff Smith

It is indeed disconcerting. These all should have been on the road now. Only 10 sets delivered, none accepted.

Amtrak, I hope, is going to get these on the road as quickly as possible for acceptance testing. How quickly can they get their 1,000? miles? And I think it was six sets that had to be accepted for them to enter revenue service.
 #1636885  by west point

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:06 am Not to be a Debbie Downer but have we all forgotten that it took 14 attempts to get the equipment to pass. Does that not bother anyone?? Is that not like taking a square peg and just hitting it with a bigger hammer until it fits into the round hole.
Maybe it is just me...
No the 14 refers to the effort to get the commuter program to work. I do recognize that the AX-2s do have their mechanical problems as well. A big one was the PAN loosing contact with the CAT contact wire.
 #1636905  by Railjunkie

Your talking about "HAL" needing 14 tries to pass the test. The computer[s] on these things run the entire show from the wheels up to the wire. If it needed 14 attempts there had to be bugs that were patched yet again to make the system pass. No issue with that?? What makes anyone think once testing begins these things are going to sail right through with flying colors? Given their history I think it could be another year or two if ever before they see a revenue train.

Grab a bigger hammer we will make it work.
 #1636961  by STrRedWolf

As of 9:45a Eastern today:
DC: 28F and snowing
Baltimore: 29F and snowing
Philadelphia: 27F and snowing
New York: 30F and starting to snow
New Haven: 27F and about to snow
Providence: 27F and clear
Boston: 25F and clear

Quick! Get those Acela 2's on the line for testing!!! Lets see if these are snow birds or shop queens!
 #1636967  by NaugyRR

Snow birds would imply they pack up and head to Florida for the winter at the first sign of frost lol