Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1626526  by AceMacSD

I wasn't on the job that day. I'd heard about when I was covering a Manville job. From what the guys said, it was kids from the local high school that derailed the train. They weren't positive but think it was when they were going from southern to freehold. Guys said the problems with kids throwing stuff on the tracks only started becoming a problem around split date. And no it wasn't gang related.
 #1626529  by Bracdude181

All the gang crap was in Lakewood anyways. None of that in Farmingdale at the time. Only other incident I know of from that time was about 1997 ish when some damaged cars were left on the siding at Marl Rd. Stayed there for a few days till Conrail came to replace the wheels.

Since then? I don’t think there was anything until the March 2022 derailment. Was there for that one, very scary to watch!
 #1626532  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:44 pm Jesus, I never knew we had a derailment due to such behavior on this line. A pal of mine remembers when they used to leave 2x4s and appliances on the track. Train would have to stop and the crew would have to push them aside.

Beyond any doubt the peak of this nonsense was before the Jewish moved in, and Lakewood was a playground for members of groups such as the Bloods and the Crips. In those days, objects thrown at the train were the least worrisome thing going on round the tracks.
Never heard of Lakewood being a problem spot until after split. Not one of THE CREWS who worked the Browns jobs before the Lakewood renewal said anything about gangs or trouble along the tracks. I remember the town looking run down before the renewal but the few times I caught jobs down the southern before split there weren't any problems nor did the regulars ever say it was a problem. I was catching those jobs for a good while sooooo I would've heard or been witness to any shenanigans.
 #1626549  by R&DB

The issues in Lakewood started beginning in the late 90s when Brooklyn began migrating to Northern Ocean and Southern Monmouth Counties. As a 30 year resident of Howell I saw the entire area change. George Gould would never recognize the town he commuted from today to his CNJ office on his railroad. Neither would the Rockefellers at their home in what is now Ocean County Park. Goulds place is now Georgian Court University.

The new residents of the area seem to not understand that railroads have the right of way and the kids (teens) think the trains are playthings. If they want to play on the trains go back to Brooklyn and try the subways.
 #1626550  by Bracdude181

Nor do they appreciate the fact that this train is what has let them turn this town into their personal paradise. Never would’ve happened without the train bringing materials in.

No, all they do is complain. “The train makes too much noise! It’s disturbing our peace!! It ruins our commuting because how dare we have to wait 30 seconds at the train crossing!! The train should stop for me!!!”

Cry me a river. The way I see it that town has bigger problems than a twice weekly train that supplies them all the crap they need for those 40 person houses they build.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1626558  by Bracdude181

In absolutely no way did I intend to be antisemitic. My comment was more meant to convey dissatisfaction towards how many people think about the train in general, regardless of who they are. This goes for areas outside Lakewood too. How about Tinton Falls? They don’t respect the trains either. How many stuck up people in luxury SUVs have I seen over there give the train nasty looks for daring to have to cross and make them stop? Losing count.
 #1626561  by HazzanDan

I too am angry about the behavior of some teenage neighbors of the railroad who think that vandalism is fun. Worse, I am deeply embarrassed that they are Jewish like me. There certainly are other young people doing these awful things, but those wearing black-and-white clothing are the first to be noticed. I assure you that most Jewish people are law-abiding and respectful of others, as all of us should be. Let's stop complaining about the ethnic identity of some teenagers in Lakewood behaving horribly. We should focus instead on the current interesting, healthy operations and the exciting future of the Freehold Secondary and the Southern Secondary. That's really what this group is for.
 #1626562  by Bracdude181

I never have, and never will, call these people out for bothering the train because they are Jewish. I have seen people from all races and backgrounds be involved with the trains on this line (and trains in general) in one way or another. Fortunately not everyone approves of such behavior. I recall when The Lakewood Scoop picked up on the March 2022 Derailment. There was fighting in the comments on that article when some people went on there and began thinking the derailment meant “no more noisy trains in town.”

Some of them actually like the train, and it was especially obvious during the last few years of the Conrail era. If the train showed up early enough, an enormous group of kids would ride their bicycles and scooters alongside the train on Marys Lane. Sometimes 50 of them at once! It was quite a sight.
 #1626570  by AceMacSD

HazzanDan wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:18 pm I too am angry about the behavior of some teenage neighbors of the railroad who think that vandalism is fun. Worse, I am deeply embarrassed that they are Jewish like me. There certainly are other young people doing these awful things, but those wearing black-and-white clothing are the first to be noticed. I assure you that most Jewish people are law-abiding and respectful of others, as all of us should be. Let's stop complaining about the ethnic identity of some teenagers in Lakewood behaving horribly. We should focus instead on the current interesting, healthy operations and the exciting future of the Freehold Secondary and the Southern Secondary. That's really what this group is for.
Well said HazzanDan. It's unfortunate that the problems along the line have become a problem in more recent times and can mostly be attributed to the kids living nearby. It's very disturbing hearing the same racist/prejudicial reports from the same poster on these groups blaming certain ethnicities for all the problems without any action being taken by administrators.

Switching gears, several of us went to take a look at Lakehurst-Lakewood today. It's gonna take a lot of $$$$ to get it back into shape to get a train over that stretch.
 #1626574  by Bracdude181

Track out there is pretty bad. You see the washout at Whitesville Road? Line hasn’t been fixed since about 04-05 when they put ties in. Railroad bridge under Route 70 had a new deck put in around 2012 and the other two bridges were replaced in 2015. Same design as the previous bridge but with thicker pilings at least at Whitesville.

At some point Conrail replaced one cantilever at Route 571. I think that was 2015 as well.
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1626575  by David

In the future, a more careful eye will be used to stamp out any antisemitic rants . They do not belong here or anywhere else! Thank you!
 #1626585  by CR7876

Dcell wrote:Bridge damage? Or something else on that segment that you observed today?
In 2018 a past rail customer in Lakehurst ( not Sand) was inquiring about resuming rail service. Conrail estimated the cost would be $8M The conditions of the three bridges was noted to be in "ok" condition. Tie conditions was the biggest culprit, plus needing a new crossing and protection at Whitesville Rd. Ultimately the customer did not go ahead with rail service again, but Conrail knew what it would take .