Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1570929  by bigfreight

Track crew is working today on the line. They were in Lancaster at 700AM headed south with a number of pieces of equipment. I believe the name on the boom truck was NRM Rail services. He was picking up the old ties that were replaced . You probably could catch them between Lancaster and Hazen today. It looks like they have some ballasting to do yet.
 #1571586  by BM1566GP7

The ST 72 (Ex B&M 1741) is at Danville Jct, awaiting pickup by the SLR for the trip to Groveton. The NHCR will move it to Hazen's, where the CSRX will take it to North Conway. Perhaps the NHCR will use a CSRX loco, instead of their own for the move from Groveton to Hazens.
 #1571650  by ericofmaine

It is heading to North Stratford first as when we set up shipping on SLR, the Groveton line wasn't open. Once we were informed that the Groveton line was open, we were unable to change the shipping to have the unit dropped there instead of a scenic journey around the north country.

Eric
 #1579253  by Fritz

Hello,
Last week continued a busy summer on the NHCR, both the Groveton and North Stratford lines.

As noted previously, considerable track work (new ties and ballast, surfacing) was completed on the Groveton. Now Maine Trackworks is working with the NHCR to replace a culvert, install new ties and ballast, and surface the North Stratford line. When we drove by last Thursday, they were installing ties just north of Lovejoys.

Meanwhile, three locomotives were present at Shops, including NHCR GP9 7324 (in the shop building), GMTX MP15 205 (parked north of the shop building), and ST GP7 72 (stored south of the shop building). There were also quite a few cars being placed into storage.

All of this was visible from public highways; please respect private property.
All the best,
Fritz
 #1579630  by oibu

So is anything going to come of the trackwork on the Groveton line? Is this just standard state money maintenance whether there are trains or not, or is something coming beyond a few cars to Hazen and some car storage?
 #1579876  by b&m 1566

oibu wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:03 pm So is anything going to come of the trackwork on the Groveton line? Is this just standard state money maintenance whether there are trains or not, or is something coming beyond a few cars to Hazen and some car storage?
I don't believe there's anything, it must have been regular maintenance. It's hard to believe the last train to depart from Hazen's was nearly 2 years ago. The last time the Conway Scenic was there was September 1, 2019 and I think New Hampshire Central, was shortly after that. There were 1 to 2 covered hoppers spotted at Hazen's at the time the Conway Scenic showed up.
 #1579919  by NHV 669

9/30/19, I got them coming back light engine with CSRX 1751, after dropping the last empty in Groveton.

Bringing down ST 72 is about the only imminent move I can see coming south to Hazens.
 #1580004  by b&m 1566

I have heard they were one of the business effected by Covid 19, but I don't know to what extent. In the winter months deliveries were at another location, using Hazen's during the warmer months.