Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1428018  by nyandw

JB King Esq wrote:I'm just surprised that load cleared the 3rd rail, but it must have been OK since it made it to Pinelawn. Some dimensional loads were unloaded right where the photo was taken, as most final locations for many of these transformers are not on rail.
1. Might this have been for LILCO, Brentwood as it is a special move and a LARGE load?
2. What other types of dimensional loads where off loaded here? Thanks.
 #1428034  by JB King Esq

It is certainly possible that it was headed for Brentwood. As I mentioned, it may have been unloaded at Pinelawn if it was destined for a substation off-rail, or just close. The team tracks at Pinelawn had a number of customers over the years. As far as other dimensional shipments, LILCO used to unload telephone poles there, which were shipped on 89' flats, sometimes with idler cars.
 #1428121  by nyandw

JB King Esq wrote:It is certainly possible that it was headed for Brentwood. As I mentioned, it may have been unloaded at Pinelawn if it was destined for a substation off-rail, or just close. The team tracks at Pinelawn had a number of customers over the years. As far as other dimensional shipments, LILCO used to unload telephone poles there, which were shipped on 89' flats, sometimes with idler cars.
Thank you for the input. Wonder if anyone photoed the 89' flat loads? :-)
 #1435371  by electric heat

In '95 or '96 I caught a pair of engines going over Newark Bay to the National Docks Branch with a high and wide. The next day, they showed up in Freeport. These are the units that are south of the ROW west of the Mini dealer on Sunrise.
Last edited by electric heat on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.