Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1414242  by tahawus84

I saw this photo and thought the date was wrong, I didn't know they still had an engine painted in those colors still:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/598621/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then tonight when I got off the train I walked over the crossing and saw the coaches there. I do not know if the engine is there as it was too dark and I could not see it. Looking at the picture it appears that the engine is missing parts an not in service. Whats going on here?
 #1414249  by LINYARailfan

Due to a major construction project on the site of the Boneyard in Morris Park all of the equipment that is stored there in derelict, had to be moved out of Morris Park or would be cut up for scrap to make way for the new facility. The old equipment in the Port Jeff yard includes EX LIRR P72 2909 and 2966 which are on hold for the NYC Transit Museum. Although I do not know if these cars will ever be on display in the transit museum due to the fact that they cant fit in the NYC Subway tunnels due to the really tight curve and the height restrictions. The other two EX LIRR P72s 2935 and 2956 are on hold for the Oyster Bay RR Museum. These cars will eventually be put on display at the historic train yard in Oyster Bay as soon as there is room for them up in Oyster Bay. There are a total of three LIRR MP15ACs that came here from the Boneyard as well. LI 162 oos since 2002 and LI 169 oos since late 90s are the engines that you see in the old LIRR blue and white livery. These two engines have been stripped for the majority of their parts to maintain the rest of the LIRR MP15AC fleet. Also in this consist is LI 170 oos since 2011 which is not seen in this photo. Hope this helps.
 #1414741  by jhdeasy

LINYARailfan wrote:Due to a major construction project on the site of the Boneyard in Morris Park all of the equipment that is stored there in derelict, had to be moved out of Morris Park or would be cut up for scrap to make way for the new facility. The old equipment in the Port Jeff yard includes EX LIRR P72 2909 and 2966 which are on hold for the NYC Transit Museum. Although I do not know if these cars will ever be on display in the transit museum due to the fact that they cant fit in the NYC Subway tunnels due to the really tight curve and the height restrictions. The other two EX LIRR P72s 2935 and 2956 are on hold for the Oyster Bay RR Museum. These cars will eventually be put on display at the historic train yard in Oyster Bay as soon as there is room for them up in Oyster Bay.
Thank you for verifying former LIRR 2909, 2935, 2956 and 2966 are currently stored at Port Jefferson awaiting future movement to new homes, after being moved out of storage at Morris Park.

I've updated my roster of LIRR P72/P75 passenger car dispositions, compiled thru my research and with help from "Trainspot". Copy available at http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/ ... lasses.pdf

Updates/corrections will be appreciated.
 #1422559  by LINYARailfan

I heard rumor that the P72s stored in Port Jeff yard were moved out of Port Jeff today. Does anybody know where these P72s were moved to today and the reason why? Is the LIRR moving these cars up to Oyster Bay or out to Riverhead? If so will the move be happening sometime in the next 24 hours? Thanks
 #1422570  by nyandw

Riverhead this evening west of the station: Image

Since I was several hundred feet west of the RVHD station in an area where I had never seen an engine, it piqued my interest. What I found were 2 engines, MTA (Long Island Railroad) 150 and 161 on the lead track to the museum yard. Several yards east of the engines was a coach also in a location where no cars are spotted.
The exact location is between Osborne Ave and Sweezy Ave on the northern most track. Engine 150 was running; 161 was not. The coach is 935. I didn't see anyone, neither by the locos, coach nor the museum yard.
-Steve Rothaug

What do you think Folks?
 #1422619  by workextra

I have to say that's it's nice to see these relics move on their own wheels and home road.
But it be better to see them moving with fare paying passengers providing goodwill to the carrier and serving a purpose other then a canvas for the underprivileged youth and a breeding ground for gangs and drugs.

Proof is in the movement that these things can be restored, can't hide that fact. The time to restore the "can do" sprit is now. Enough with the "I can't, I won't, we can't and we won't" attitude that has crippled the LIRR and even LI as a whole.
 #1422639  by Train2009

BuddR32 wrote:
deandremouse wrote:See no mention of 3100 the power pack. Did it get cut?
Still in Morris Park. (as of last week)
I saw it as it was still in Morris Park this morning.
 #1422738  by MADDOG

P72's #2935 and #2956 have been moved out to Riverhead and belong to Oyster Bay RR Museum to join our BM-60.

As soon as the weather turns warmer for more than a day, we can go out and paint the cars. Damn shame that everyone had to tag the cars-Rats.
MADDOG