Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by deandremouse

I feel after those two people did that urbex video, this equipment got a lot of unwanted negative attention. I see the LIRR plated over the doors.
  by LINYARailfan

2909 and 2966 were moved out of Port Jefferson as of last week. I don't know what is going to happen to them in the near future? All I know is that they were moved to Arch Street shops. Are they going to be restored or cut up for scrap like all of the decommissioned sitting there?
  by MADDOG

LINYARailfan wrote:2909 and 2966 were moved out of Port Jefferson as of last week. I don't know what is going to happen to them in the near future? All I know is that they were moved to Arch Street shops. Are they going to be restored or cut up for scrap like all of the decommissioned sitting there?
They are scheduled for scrapping soon.
MADDOG
  by DogBert

Are the M3s at Arch st. also going?

They currently have some flats with track materials in the former freight transload area, while the gons and diesel coaches are a little further back. I imagine they'll want to shuffle them around a bit to facilitate the work.
  by jhdeasy

MADDOG wrote:
LINYARailfan wrote:2909 and 2966 were moved out of Port Jefferson as of last week. I don't know what is going to happen to them in the near future? All I know is that they were moved to Arch Street shops. Are they going to be restored or cut up for scrap like all of the decommissioned sitting there?
They are scheduled for scrapping soon.
MADDOG
This looks like an opportunity for someone with ready cash to acquire a P72 coach for a price close to scrap value. If the railroad is going to scrap these two cars, then they may be willing to accept an unsolicited purchase offer for scrap value or a somewhat higher amount. They could even make some additional money with an additional services contract to complete an air brake system COTS and any other work required by the FRA for a new owner to move the car from LIRR to a new home, in freight service.
  by Ðauntless

They are junk. Scrap. Let them die in pieces. They should take care of some others while they are at it..
  by Dump The Air

jhdeasy wrote: This looks like an opportunity for someone with ready cash to acquire a P72 coach for a price close to scrap value

there's been an opportunity to do that for nearly 20 years now, these cars are in horrible shape. let em die. plenty of these things living second and third lives at this point.