Railroad Forums 

• 1970s Photos of Rochester

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1380400  by BR&P

Conrail6467 wrote:I have a few more questions..... Now what were the train symbols as far as locals and deliveries? Was there a West and East Local, yard switcher, etc. I've heard the term "1st Belt" thrown around, but not exactly sure of its duties or mileage. Thanks guys!
You need to specify a timeframe, and probably a location to narrow down your question. In 1967 there were about 24 jobs a day in greater Rochester, plus extras, work trains, engine changes, etc. A friend who hired out in 1943 listed the jobs back then and I think there were about 70 crews a day in Rochester.

The Belt jobs worked from Goodman Street to Charlotte and back. At least to the late 1940's or early 50's there were 3 Belt jobs a day. By 1961, there were only 2. Somewhere in the late 60's or so, the Second Belt was cut back from Charlotte to Kodak. (It was still advertised to Charlotte so it could be sent there if needed, but as a matter of practice it only went to Kodak) In the 60's and 70's, the First Belt worked Monday - Saturday, while the Second Belt worked Sunday through Friday. Generally speaking the First Belt was on the Charlotte Branch mornings and early afternoon, and the 2nd Belt late afternoons and evenings.

In the "old days" there were a couple 2-day jobs on the Hojack, the West Local and the Red Line. West Local went to Niagara Falls, the Red Line went to Oswego. They would lay over and return the next day. I do not know if there two of each - in other works one working west and one east each day - or only one. Anyhow, instead of a caboose they had an old combine which had bunks, a stove, etc for when they were at the "away" terminal. These lasted until roughly 1959 give or take. In busy seasons, extras were called as needed.

A bit later, say mid 60's, the CTA (Charlotte Turnaround) worked the west end. As the track deteriorated the trip took longer and longer, until in the early days of Conrail it took 2 days going out and 2 days coming back, with a taxi ride to or from Charlotte as needed.

The State Street jobs were also based at Charlotte, and took coal to Beebee Station as well as serving the numerous customers on that branch. By Conrail days the First State Street worked east as far as Sodus, while the Second St ST did most of the work on the branch itself. Again, extras were called as needed. Both State Streets were used to switch Russell Station.
 #1381457  by Conrail6467

It will be HO. It will not be completed for years but it will be totally worth it when I'm done. I figure that if I get rid of this layout to build another I'll donate it to the Genesee Lighthouse for display, mostly because It will almost literally serve as a legit model of what it looked like, if I can get it that close. So little information / PICTURES are available so it's hard to make out some scenes, especially the East End. (Webster, Ontario, Etc.)
 #1381472  by Otto Vondrak

Conrail6467 wrote:It will be HO. It will not be completed for years but it will be totally worth it when I'm done. I figure that if I get rid of this layout to build another I'll donate it to the Genesee Lighthouse for display, mostly because It will almost literally serve as a legit model of what it looked like, if I can get it that close. So little information / PICTURES are available so it's hard to make out some scenes, especially the East End. (Webster, Ontario, Etc.)
Weren't you talking about building a 4x8 layout to start? You're not even out of high school yet, don't worry about building a basement empire now. :-) Keep up with your research on the scenes you want to model, and then when you're a little older and have a little more money in your pocket you can figure out how to recreate scenes along the Hojack in HO scale.

-otto-
 #1383104  by dj_paige

I love the book "Trackside Around Rochester"

There are a lot of locations I recognize, but of course they look different today. Other locations I have never seen before, as well as lots of great rolling stock and infrastructure photos. One of the things I'd like to do is take a photo at as many locations as I can from the book to compare today's appearance to the appearance in the book.

Definitely worth the money.