Railroad Forums 

• CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1323420  by chrisf

octr202 wrote:Regarding CommuterCharlie passes, I guess they ran out. I got my April pass yesterday, and it's just a plain old ticket. I wonder if only corporate pass customers got them this time around.
I thought that's what I read they were doing but I've already recycled the notice that came with my April pass.
 #1323421  by diburning

Ryand-Smith wrote:Hey all. I'll be in boston next week for 5 or so days, so is the 7 day Charliecard an idea way to travel to and from the Hynes if you want to say buy something to eat/go to and from Boston South Station, and possibly see the Constitution at the Navy Yard?
The 7-day pass can be purchased from any fare vending machine, retail sales agent, or commuter rail terminus station including Back Bay. However, if you use a machine, it will only come on a ticket. At all other locations, the pass can be loaded onto a card or a ticket. It's $19.00 and offers unlimited rides on the subway and local bus. If you get it on a ticket instead of a card, it is also valid on the commuter rail within Zone 1A and the Inner Harbor Ferry routes. It expires 7 days to the minute from the time of purchase, which is printed on the ticket. If you opt for the card, you will have to keep your receipt to see what time it expires.

If you anticipate riding the subway at 10 times during your week, the pass is a good value. If not, then it may be less expensive to simply pay per ride if you use a stored value CharlieCard. Transfers with stored value are free if transferring from the subway to a bus or from one subway line to another without exiting the station, and only the fare difference is charged if transferring from the bus to the subway.
 #1326488  by boblothrope

Ticket machines are already offering 7-day passes at a 15% discount, even though it was supposed to be just for May.

They must have misprogrammed the machines when they applied the 15% discount for May monthlies, which went on sale yesterday (the 15th of the previous month).

Providing discounted 7-day passes from April 15 through May 14 (instead of May 1 through 31) would have been fine, but that's not what they advertised.
 #1326703  by diburning

As a retail vendor, I've noticed that the weekly passes have been discounted to $16 as well. A few of us at the office think that they did this on purpose so that they'd only need to do two sets of price changes (to add and remove the discount) for the monthly pass sales cycle, which is the 15th of the previous month to the 14th of the effective month, rather than do four price changes, two for the monthly pass cycle, and two for the calendar month for the 7-day passes. If they keep to the way they advertised it, they *MIGHT* keep the 7-day passes discounted until the end of the calendar month of May, but I wouldn't count on it.
 #1331257  by diburning

Good morning! Today is the 15th. June passes are now being sold. The June passes are back at the regular price, but it looks like the 7 day passes are still discounted at $16.00. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if they intend to discount them until the end of the month.
 #1331269  by deathtopumpkins

Well, the discounts were supposed to be for the month of May. If they didn't leave them in place until the end of the month, I think they'd face too much negative PR that I'm sure they'd like to avoid right now. Heck, maybe it's easiest to just leave them discounted until June 15, since it seems like they're trying to minimize issues with the fare system.
 #1332674  by GP40MC 1116

Are the monthly CR CharlieCards only available through the mail?

Also, thanks to the wonderful Transit Benefit program at work, in order to pay for a monthly pass I have to use my Transit Benefit card for part of the cost and pay for the rest on my credit/debit card. That being said, is the CharlieCard Store the only place that will do multi payment?
 #1332768  by diburning

Monthly CR CharlieCards are only available through a corporate pas program or through the MBTA, purchased online. I don't think the MBTA website has the capability to do a split payment. You'd have to go to a retail vendor to get a pass on a ticket to be able to do a split payment. I am not sure if Keolis (North/South/Back Bay stations) will do split payments.
 #1355765  by diburning

The mTicket app appears to have been removed from the Apple app store. On my phone, it's labeled as MBTA. Searching mTicket or MBTA in the app store does not show the app. I was at South Attleboro trying to help someone download the app and couldn't find it. I couldn't find it in the app store on my phone either. I already have the app (in which case the app store would simply show that it has been installed). The app still works fine though, and the conductors aren't aware of any changes.
 #1355848  by BandA

diburning wrote:The mTicket app appears to have been removed from the Apple app store. On my phone, it's labeled as MBTA. Searching mTicket or MBTA in the app store does not show the app. I was at South Attleboro trying to help someone download the app and couldn't find it. I couldn't find it in the app store on my phone either. I already have the app (in which case the app store would simply show that it has been installed). The app still works fine though, and the conductors aren't aware of any changes.
Doing a global search from the phone, I see "MBTA M-ticket" in the store, version 1.21.00, uploaddate=sep 10 2015, requires ios 7.0 or later. Marked with the cloud icon as it isn't currently installed on my device. Seller is listed as Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, but listed as copyright 2015 masabi us ltd, with developer's website pointing to justrideapp.com. Version history shows 23 months between revisions, which is a very long time. App installs & appears to run. Interestingly, it doesn't ask me to log in right away.
 #1355853  by chrisf

diburning wrote:The mTicket app appears to have been removed from the Apple app store. On my phone, it's labeled as MBTA. Searching mTicket or MBTA in the app store does not show the app. I was at South Attleboro trying to help someone download the app and couldn't find it. I couldn't find it in the app store on my phone either. I already have the app (in which case the app store would simply show that it has been installed). The app still works fine though, and the conductors aren't aware of any changes.
There have been several tweets in the past week from Keolis that states they've been having some availability issues with the app. I have no idea what that means specifically.
The app is available this morning for me to download, so I'm not seeing any of these issues personally.
 #1355864  by nomis

It's been an issue recently with then new iOS, that has popped up.