• CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Arlington

octr202 wrote:Considering the rate of failure on the one station entrance I see regularly (Kendall inbound south end), the added cost of the RFID tickets might actually be less than constantly replacing and repairing those ticket slots in the gates.
You've got to be right. Building and maintaining fast ticket reader-handlers is looking as heavy, primitive, and expensive as tokens once did. The *real* answer is to go to barrier-free (cause gates are heavy expensive machines too). They should invent honor gates that detect your RFID and give each a green/ding or a red/buzz and then have inspectors follow up.
  by deathtopumpkins

Arlington wrote:
octr202 wrote:Considering the rate of failure on the one station entrance I see regularly (Kendall inbound south end), the added cost of the RFID tickets might actually be less than constantly replacing and repairing those ticket slots in the gates.
You've got to be right. Building and maintaining fast ticket reader-handlers is looking as heavy, primitive, and expensive as tokens once did. The *real* answer is to go to barrier-free (cause gates are heavy expensive machines too). They should invent honor gates that detect your RFID and give each a green/ding or a red/buzz and then have inspectors follow up.
Yeah that would work really well at rush hour!

For a few years I worked security at a private university library that required patrons to show their student ID. Even with 2 people monitoring one set of double doors it was impossible to make sure everyone showed their IDs (or swiped them once cardswipes were installed) at busy times, so eventually the university caved and installed gates that work just like the T - you tap your card and they open. Now change one set of double doors to a line of 20 'honor gates' and change students to rush hour commuters and you'll see how bad of an idea this is.

Honestly, if we have to go barrier-free, just switch to POP. No need to invent some new, unproven technology - wait, this is the T we're talking about. We're doomed.
  by Arlington

deathtopumpkins wrote:Honestly, if we have to go barrier-free, just switch to POP. No need to invent some new, unproven technology
POP, yes, that's what I meant by having inspectors follow up. Don't think of it as gateless-gates, think of it as tipoffs to POP inspectors as to whom they should ask first for proof of payment. In fact, you could mount all the fare stuff overhead on a gantry, and just shine a light on persons who pass under without sufficient RFID payment/pass. POP *mostly* relies on the honor system and fear of getting caught. Honor gates enhance both effects.
  by StefanW

I'm not sure if this is the best topic for this, but I couldn't find a better place.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog ... t-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Annear, Boston Daily, bostonmagazine.com wrote: MBTA to Meet With Universities About New Student "UPass"

The transit agency is looking to launch a pilot program with a select few schools.

By Steve Annear | Boston Daily | January 14, 2015 4:42 p.m.

College students taking the MBTA's trains and buses in the Greater Boston area could soon have a new pass embedded in their university ID cards to help them get around.

Transit officials confirmed Wednesday that they're moving forward and meeting with local colleges to discuss partnering on a new "UPass" pilot program, which would offer students attending classes and living near the T a LinkPass through their respective schools at a significantly reduced price.

"We look forward to presenting this exciting opportunity to the higher education community," said T spokesman Joe Pesaturo.

While he confirmed that the T has "meetings this month with some local institutions," Pesaturo would not name which schools T administrators plan to sit down with to discuss the proposal.

In a presentation to MassDOT's Board of Directors last month, the T originally indicated that it would be targeting Harvard, Northeastern, and Tufts University when moving forward with their plan, but said that any university was welcome to contact them to discuss the pending pilot program.

According to details of the pilot program, first reported by Boston back in December, if implemented the "UPass" could generate roughly $11 million in revenue for the MBTA, so long as at least three universities decide to opt into the partnership.

The T still needs to develop contractual agreements, as well as an evaluation and implementation plan, but the pilot is expected to launch this summer and last one year. If successful, the MBTA will explore the option of extending the special pass program beyond that period.

The T hopes that by offering discounted options it will increase overall ridership, and promote the appeal of taking public transportation to young people in the area. "We came up with 47 colleges and institutions that we consider to be close enough to rapid transit and buses to use the passes," Pesaturo told Boston in a previous interview. "Some day we'd love to have all 47 be part of this program. It's great for them, and great for the environment, and a win-win for everyone."
  by Arlington

Norfolk VA built ridership for its TIDE light rail in just such a way. It allows employers and schools to pay a per-employee or per-student fee and pre-purchase passes for *all*their employees at very reduced rates (like $25 per year per employee, if you cover all employees)
  by BandA

Aren't students of these colleges already using the T, and this will result in revenue loss? Can the T accurately measure the effects? OTOH, perhaps this will generate lots of off-peak trips rather than when the T is already overcrowded.
  by jamesinclair

Before Charlie, didnt MIT student ID cards have the ability to swipe in as a monthly pass?

That was when swiping was done Metrocard style
  by deathtopumpkins

BandA wrote:Aren't students of these colleges already using the T, and this will result in revenue loss? Can the T accurately measure the effects? OTOH, perhaps this will generate lots of off-peak trips rather than when the T is already overcrowded.
They are, but I bet the T is hoping this will encourage them to use it more. I know when I was living on campus I didn't bother with a monthly pass, as I didn't ride the T daily, so it usually was cheaper to just pay as I used it. However, if a monthly pass were only $35 instead of $70, I'd have been a lot more likely to snag one, assuming the cost would probably come out on top. And since I already had a monthly pass I'd probably ride more often than I would otherwise. I know currently months I do buy a pass vs. months I don't buy a pass my casual riding habits certainly change. When I have a monthly I'll happily take the T only a stop or two, while when I don't I'll just walk.
In short, I'm betting this will boost ridership numbers, and encourage more students to buy passes.
  by octr202

Okay, before I get in trouble for re-asking a question on here, I found one answer from 5 years ago, so I wanted to confirm that this is still the case:

If traveling beyond the limits of a monthly pass (on commuter rail), you only need to pay an interzone fare for the additional zones, not from the zone where your pass ends - is this still correct? From what I've read here (since mbta.com doesn't have any of this information), if using a Zone 2 pass to/from Zone 5, one needs a three-zone interzone ticket (to "buy up" zones 3, 4 & 5), and not a 4-zone interzone (which you would need for an isolated journey from a Zone 5 station to a Zone 2 station).

And it looks like interzone tickets are available from the mTicket app - in which case I'd still buy a ticket to one zone short of where my pass starts?
  by sery2831

Correct. Monthly pass holders get the zone the pass is in. If you are a passenger without a pass you need to include the zone you are starting in. Interzone fare rules are VERY confusing!

Also the test with the monthly CR Charlie Cards has ended. There are NO February ones.
  by tvachon

The pilot program seemed to be only a month test. All pilot participants got normal stock this month across multiple employers.

It's sad it see it end so fast, it made flow much easier, particularly at south station and porter.
  by Diverging Route

sery2831 wrote:Correct. Monthly pass holders get the zone the pass is in. If you are a passenger without a pass you need to include the zone you are starting in. Interzone fare rules are VERY confusing!

Also the test with the monthly CR Charlie Cards has ended. There are NO February ones.
I frequently extend my Z2 to a Z6. Over the past year, every conductor has charged me correctly, $3.75 for a four zone extension. The only exception was the conductor who had no quarters, and wanted $4.00. I told him to get change from someone else on the crew and he did :-)
  by octr202

sery2831 wrote:Correct. Monthly pass holders get the zone the pass is in. If you are a passenger without a pass you need to include the zone you are starting in. Interzone fare rules are VERY confusing!

Cool, thanks! And I have the ticket app, so I can avoid the whole quarter problem. ;-)
  by sery2831

Seems like the CR Charlie Card program is still in trial. I have seen some people have Zone 8 Cards for March.
  by tvachon

sery2831 wrote:Seems like the CR Charlie Card program is still in trial. I have seen some people have Zone 8 Cards for March.
Yes, interestingly there was no letter included this time indicating it.