Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1229678  by Noel Weaver

pbass wrote:Due to their inherited environmentally designed hazards,all M2's are to be scrapped-none are to be saved.This is definite.The contract with MTA Metro-North stipulates it is the responsibility of the scrapper to handle and dispose of all hazardous materials associated with these cars.My personal contact at MTA was not aware of the legalities of the scrapping contract and would not have been so eager to accommodate the acquisition of such a pair to the DRM.MTA does not want to be held liable for any claims that will arise account the hazardous materials were not properly disposed of prior to their donation.We tried.
Question?? Is this information from a RELIABLE source? Second issue, not all M-2's are owned by the MTA so I suspect Connecticut might have other ideas. Lots of times relatively low level officials do not know any more than what the troops are hearing through the "rumor mills". I think we need to wait and see what actually happens here.
Noel Weaver
 #1229698  by R36 Combine Coach

If that is indeed the case with the M-2s, I would suggest DRM a M-6 set as the best alternative. They are the last new DC traction cars in North America (1994) and were among the last MK Hornell cars. The M-6s are the last cars with the basic M-series design dating back to the M-1 in 1968 as well, making the "last of a generation". A M-6 set could be made a pair by removing the center car.
 #1229717  by Backshophoss

This is a wild guess, but could be due to PCB use in the Main Transformer?
PCB's are the reason that the GG-1's were retired,the SL-I's and SL-II's had their mains pulled before scrapping
The Main Transformer would be concidered as Haz-Mat material for disposal requirements
Believe the use of PCB laced oil was outlawed in the mid '70's.

If possible try for a Bar triplet from the remaining M-4/6's
 #1229727  by DutchRailnut

The Pantograph area has asbestos insulation in roof and back wall, so yes the Info is real.
The Contract with Frontier covers both the MTA and CDOT units and also M-4 and M-6's

And again there were never any bar cars in M-4 or M-6 series.
 #1229872  by pbass

Jaap:do the M4/M6 have asbestos?We were told the M2 had asbestos & oils that were to be dealt with by Frontier so in that case,the cars could not be donated.Also,I thought that in the 1980's-'90's all the M2 transformer oils were dumped in the PCB lagoon at Harmon that was eventually cleaned up.Should the M4/M6 have any hazardous material in them,then it could be ruled out,they too will become recycled metal as the M1,M2&GTE were.
 #1229891  by DutchRailnut

The M-4/M-6 probably do not have PCB's, but the M-2's despite being drained never got all PCB oils out of transformer coils.
As for Asbestos, I don't believe the M-4 and M-6 has it but you never know as asbestos is still acceptable in certain functions.

The M-3's should not have enviromental issues.
 #1230068  by Noel Weaver

The reason the GG-1's were retired was simply old age. They had problems with metal fatigue, not being compatible with the newer equipment regarding lack of head end power and not being able to operate under 60 cycle power. There were a good engine in their time but by the time of their last runs their time had expired. A good number of these locomotives escaped the torch but in these cases the transformers were removed before departing the property. Most likely IF any M-2's are finally saved the transformers will be removed, it can be done.
Noel Weaver
 #1230093  by DutchRailnut

With M-2 containing asbestos, they will not donate any units.
 #1230100  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:With M-2 containing asbestos, they will not donate any units.
Well!, it is no skin off my rear end whether they do or don't. There are other locomotives and or cars that are more worthy of preservation. It will be what it will be.
Noel Weaver
 #1231875  by DutchRailnut

The 4400 might have but since most electrical parts were removed decades ago, and donated decades ago.
the ACMU's were totally overhauled in 1985 and there is no asbestos in them anymore (if done right)
 #1232001  by DutchRailnut

same restrictions and their all contracted to be scrapped, with scrapper not being able to resell.