Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ryanov

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Recently, PATCO is among the few agencies that opted for a complete knockdown/rebuild of its cars - basically ending up with a "modern" car in a 1968 body.
Technically no. They rebuilt the propulsion system but did not change it. So it's still 1960's technology there.
  by Noel Weaver

khansingh wrote:Did Metro-North ever operate M2 pairs separately?
Even 30 plus years ago when I was working these trains that had un-matched pairs, they were called "Bastard Pairs".
Noel Weaver
  by khansingh

Here's what I mean. In this photo from 1977, you see a pair operating alone. They could be testing, for all that I know. I'm just wondering if this would've happened in normal service.
  by Backshophoss

A single pair was normal for off-peak/weekend service on the New Canaan Branch.
  by fl9m2004

I remember when it was only 3 cars for new cannan shuttle and 2 of 3 cars would be full
It was an m2 at each end and a middle car paired with set
  by Travelsonic

fl9m2004 wrote:I remember when it was only 3 cars for new cannan shuttle and 2 of 3 cars would be full
That... had to look interesting...
  by RearOfSignal

fl9m2004 wrote:I remember when it was only 3 cars for new cannan shuttle and 2 of 3 cars would be full
You mean a triplet? Never heard of 3 car M2's.
  by RearOfSignal

fl9m2004 wrote:That's exactly what I meant
So then it wasn't a M2 at either end, it was just a triplet(M4 or M6), big difference.
  by fl9m2004

Yep it was an m4 on either end
But now its more of M8's on New Cannan during weekdays and weekends
  by RearOfSignal

fl9m2004 wrote:Yep it was an m4 on either end
But now its more of M8's on New Cannan during weekdays and weekends
It's not a M4 on either end it's just a triplet of M4s, every car was and M4. Either way it has nothing to do with retiring any cars.
  by khansingh

^Well, they're retiring the M4's too, and it's easy to mistake them.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Spotting these MU's is actually easy - if you look at the numbers:

8400 and 8500s (first order of 144); 8700s and 8800s (add-on of 100 cars) are M2's
8600s - CDOT M2 Bar Cars (?)
8900s are M4's
9000's are M6's
M8s begin at 9100...

I posted this for those that do not know...
MACTRAXX