Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1220008  by Jeff Smith

MACTRAXX wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:That the M-2's lasted this long is worthy of space at DRM,as the M-2's were the 1st gen of dual modes following the basic
M-series design,the only remaining M-1 pair is a LIRR set at Riverhead(RMLI),saving a "A"+"C" pair(bar car) fits well with
DRM's mission of telling NHRR's history in that part of the region.
It might become a streach to save a set of "triplets"(M-4/M-6) however.
BSH: There are two pairs of LIRR M1s that were preserved: 9547-9548 is the pair at RMLI in Riverhead and 9745-9746 were saved
for the MTA Transit Museum - only four cars out of a fleet that once had 948 cars as a combined total (770 LIRR and 178 MNCR)

MACTRAXX
I've been out to Riverhead and seen that pair, along with some of the heavyweight coaches, when they had railroad days the other day. Honestly, they've done nothing with them except build a stairway. They've got a lot on their plate right now with a steam restoration project; seems to me they should spend money on what they have in inventory, but I'm just a kibbutz-er so it's really not my call. While the cabs are open, there's not that much to see. The museum itself is across the street. I had more fun on the World's Fair train there; hadn't ridden it since 1965!
 #1220011  by Jeff Smith

runningwithscalpels wrote:I rode a prime candidate yesterday - AC died outside of Stamford and smelled burning brakes pretty much the entire way into GCT from Bridgeport.

Then again, it had a bar car on the set so I doubt it will go anywhere too soon!
I think a bar car would be a terrific idea for DRM. If you refurbish the "C" bar car right, you could gut the "A" car and create a modern space, and rent it out for functions.

While some mock the DRM, unfairly, IMHO, just because they don't like the setup or web-site (and I do know from reading this thread that they do have issues, but so do all museums; you should read how museum threads are the bane of my existence on railroad.net), well, so what if the cars just sit there? They are in a landlocked situation. They do the best they can. I love seeing the Budd car and others...
 #1220012  by Jeff Smith

Tadman wrote:Will they begin mix/matching married pairs, or is the fate of one tied to the other?
;-) DOMA is off-topic! I honestly don't see why they couldn't cut off too "C" cars and tow them up to Danbury, or just one of them. You're not operating them, so who cares, right?
 #1220014  by Jeff Smith

Train2009 wrote:Today CSOR Frieght had 8 cars headed to West Springfield, MA from CT, the numbers are: ...
Numbers notwithstanding, and thanks for those, if I were to head up there one week-day, do they go through the Springfield Amtrak station? Are there regular runs of these?
 #1220015  by Jeff Smith

DutchRailnut wrote:you are correct, as MNCR does not serve Ohio.
Weisenheimer LOL. A predecessor RR did, though....

Just what is the arrangement? CSOR grabs them in New Haven and where is the handoff?
 #1220078  by runningwithscalpels

Glad someone seems to think I make sense :)

There's a picture of a car from the wire train coupled to 8829 that cropped up this weekend in my news feed on Facebook. I'm guessing it's safe to say 8829 is sharing the wire train's fate with the torch?
 #1220103  by Noel Weaver

The question came up "do they go through Springfield Station"? They would have to go through Springfield Station enroute from New Haven to West Springfield. They would not go through Springfield Station enroute from West Springfield to Selkirk and points west like Ohio.
As for running this type of equipment at a trolley museum, it will not work, these cars are too long, too heavy and the wheels have deeper flanges which would damage the museum's track in places where there are either switches or guard rails.
They would make a decent display item at Danbury but at Branford or probably any other trolley museum they would just be in the way and take up valuable room.
Noel Weaver
 #1220113  by runningwithscalpels

Do they keep any in Cedar Hill for any length of time anymore before shipping them out? Seems I haven't seen any sitting there in quite some time.
 #1220138  by DutchRailnut

runningwithscalpels wrote:Do they keep any in Cedar Hill for any length of time anymore before shipping them out? Seems I haven't seen any sitting there in quite some time.
no, once a car is de-activated certain Items are removed like radio/event recorde/third rail beams and shoes. any cars you may have seen at Cedar Hill were already prepped for shippment to ohio.
 #1220206  by pbass

As of the beginning of October,DRM has had no success with our contacts at MTA or CDOT in acquiring the pair of M2'S we have requested.Dutch stated there are as of today,88 M2's available.I will mention that fact this week at the next meeting at DRM & suggest more pressure be applied to fulfilling our request before too soon the M2'S like the M1'S & the NYWB MU'S will be just a memory.
 #1220306  by runningwithscalpels

DutchRailnut wrote:
runningwithscalpels wrote:Do they keep any in Cedar Hill for any length of time anymore before shipping them out? Seems I haven't seen any sitting there in quite some time.
no, once a car is de-activated certain Items are removed like radio/event recorde/third rail beams and shoes. any cars you may have seen at Cedar Hill were already prepped for shippment to ohio.
I figured that, it just seemed like for a while last year the FICX stenciled ones were hanging around over there for a while when I drove past on 91 - of course who knows, they could have been different ones each time aside from the one time I actually went and looked.
 #1229581  by pbass

Due to their inherited environmentally designed hazards,all M2's are to be scrapped-none are to be saved.This is definite.The contract with MTA Metro-North stipulates it is the responsibility of the scrapper to handle and dispose of all hazardous materials associated with these cars.My personal contact at MTA was not aware of the legalities of the scrapping contract and would not have been so eager to accommodate the acquisition of such a pair to the DRM.MTA does not want to be held liable for any claims that will arise account the hazardous materials were not properly disposed of prior to their donation.We tried.