Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1095183  by KEN PATRICK

although $2000/car is probably reasonable,( i use $1600) it's mileage-based. thus, your looking at $2.50- $6.00 per car per mile depending on the commodity. intermodal is at the low end. the lowest is $1.00 for powder river coal. rail costs are about $.50 per car per mile all-in. so how many miles are in this section? also, look at cycle. although this section may not be particularly profitable, it might serve as an important element for larger moves. a good example are the csxt runs from montreal thru watertown to selkirk. csxt now has the d&h alternative. economics favor the d&h routing. they were the basis of the Joint Usage Agreement. csxt has yet to utilize this routing. ken patrick
 #1095188  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:How are there "clauses"? either we have the train or we don't. A nail biter? how so? Are crews being trained as of 10/18?
Hi!

The original bet was between me and SJ, and now, somehow, it is between you and a handful of members who post in this thread...

Now, I don't know what your "clauses" are, but the clause between me and SJ is that if either a 1.NS test train, 2.work train, or 3. NS train run over the NYSW routing before 1/1/13 then it is a draw between me and SJ.! If there is no NS train movement anywhere east of Binghamton on the Tier before 1/1/13,then SJ owes me beers, And lastly, if a regular NS train starts running via the Eastern Tier and NJT before that X day, then SJ wins and I owe him beers!!

That is the "clause"! I hope this clears up any confusion!
 #1095297  by malfunctjct

NJB,
I have been quiet recently on this. All I am going to do is point out a message that was posted on the NYSW yahoogroups list. Go to message 40890. Read it! Look at what it says. You keep saying "it's not going to happen". How do you know this? You don't! Calm down!

In other words, sit back, relax, have a beer for those of us who are waiting for the phone to ring to tell us it's time to go to work and wait for the fun. When something becomes official, you will know.
 #1095466  by northjerseybuff

malfunction-I hope I'm wrong, believe me when I say this. I thought I would have lost the bet by now. I have been waiting a decade for trains to return. I really hope this does happen...
 #1095510  by SecaucusJunction

Well we've heard that NS is starting a crew pool from Binghamton to Croxton; we've heard they've given a 30 day notice of a new crew pool to their union and the NYSW crew union. We've heard that they've given notice to NJT about new through freights on the line. We've heard that there are now managers qualified over the Delaware Division who are going to train crew members at the end of these 30 days. Now we've even heard rumblings of power switches and welded rail going in west of Port Jervis. What more could we really ask for I guess... You have to figure that something will happen in within the next 6 months or so or the qualifications will expire and they'd have to start all over again.
 #1095566  by SecaucusJunction

I'm pretty sure if you look back 5 responses, mr malfunctjct is telling you just that... and I'm pretty sure he works in the industry. Also, the post he is referring to on yahoo is from someone in the industry. Do you want NS to give a press conference about it? I think that is the last thing they want to do.
 #1095638  by charlie6017

IMO, everyone's gotta take a step back and relax. As SJ said, MalfunctJct is an extremely credible source for
good information. K4Pacific is also a great source, but has limits on what he can say to us. Same for Chief. I
just think we have to relax some; I'm just trying to help keep the peace so that the dialogue continues and
we don't get shut out in the cold.

I believe there are too many things happening east of Binghamton NOT to have trains. I think before too long
we will be seeing 12T and 13T snaking along the Delaware and over Moodna Viaduct. And I can't wait! ;-)

Charlie
 #1105845  by SecaucusJunction

I'd guess the storm probably didn't help the situation since NJT was shut down for a long period of time.
 #1105995  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:No news in almost a month? Game will be called and drinks will be served in 51 days....
What game?? Never knew there was a "game"... Just a bet, per say!
 #1105999  by northjerseybuff

Bet...game...same thing. Well, like the Giants in the fourth quarter yesterday, there is no sign of a win..there is NO sign of these trains. Even if NS indicates something in the next 30 days, the trains won't be here by Jan 1. Time is not on the side now of the people who say the trains are coming in 2012. So I hope to see everyone in Port Jervis at the Erie Hotel on 1/1/13.
For the record. I was thinking I would lose. I really did believe something big was going to happen in 2012. Fact is nothing changed on the east end. NYSW 3X a week is what we started with and will end with. No crews are training. No NS official plans to bring over anything.
Maybe in the next decade something will happen. Who knows. See you all in Jan!