Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1068150  by bigfreight

Last week they replaced a crossing in Northumberland across from Ocean State Job lots. Rexford Construcion from Lancaster assisted in the job. LLPX2304 came north thru Lancaster at about 730PM with 20 cars they were mostly SLR boxcars with a few covered hoppers in the mix.
 #1076097  by bm1838

The state is taking up 5 miles of rail between stewartstown and Colebrook to change in for scrap $$$... They then are going to take that money and purchase a mile of 115lb rail to rebuild the line from the SLR interchange to North Strafford Shops, to allow move safe handling of the LPG cars they recieve there...

Cory
 #1081664  by b&m 1566

The line from North Stratford to Beecher Falls was in service until 1989, by the North Stratford Railroad (MEC abandoned the line in 1976, state purchased and leased it). The short section from Quebec Junction to Waumbeck Juction was abandoned in 1976.
 #1082269  by bigfreight

I was in Groveton last night and indeed the engines are there.LLPX2304 was no where to be seen. They are down at the far end of the mill coupled to a long line of boxcars. For a Photo op,If you go into Groveton go past the Groveton Family restaraunt (great food!) across the tracks go right and they are down about 1/4 mile on the right. You can get good pictures right from the road. You are right along the tracks.
 #1083012  by bigfreight

LLPX2304 came North thru Lancaster at 830am with no cars. I would assume they must have brought the Conway Scenic engines down on Saturday afternoon. LLPX2304 just came thru Lancaster headed south at 1200 with 25 SLR boxcars headed towards Hazen.
 #1083349  by Fritz

bigfreight,
The two engines (NHN and FGLK) were sitting at the east end of that long string of boxcars in Groveton yesterday morning, so, if you didn't see them going south, then they must still be there.

Also, of interest, I heard the light engine coming north yesterday morning around 0915 as I was working on the floodplain just south of Groveton. As I headed south on Route 3, I found the engine stopped just north of the crossing (2nd crossing south of Groveton), and there were two cars off the side of the road. It looked like the first car may have stopped for the train but the second car didn't and rearended the first. Just conjecture on my part. Hopefully no one was hurt badly, as this is a 50 MPH section of highway.

All the best,
Fritz