Railroad Forums 

• Lewiston Industrial Track/Lewiston Lower Rd/Branch status

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1021863  by merrman

The SLR owns or controls some od the yard tracks at Danville. There are tracks at Danville you may not have seen, west of
the old diamond, probably buried in the snow. Not used much but available. They also have yard tracks at Lewiston Jct and
Mech Falls.

The PAR job from Brunswick would be headed for Rigby. Nothing is interchanged at Yarmouth Jct, and unless there were a
hot load to go west on the SLR, PAR would not run to Royal, then up the back road to Danville.

The track layout at Danville has eliminated the diamond. The old PAR turnout. wharf track and track 237 are now the PAR
main line. The old main is now the turnout. The SLR now comes across where the Station Rd used to be and joins the PAR
turnout (old main) the wends down through the yard and out onto their main line at the other end. PAR main threads thru
the yard tracks and out the long crossover.
 #1021997  by pinwizard1971

The SLR owns or controls some od the yard tracks at Danville. There are tracks at Danville you may not have seen, west of
the old diamond, probably buried in the snow. Not used much but available. They also have yard tracks at Lewiston Jct and
Mech Falls.
They also have yard tracks in South Paris.
 #1027650  by MaineMG

Hey Guys,

My wife said that she believes she heard "a train blowing it's horn at the crossing" during the day on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week while I was away at work. Does anyone know if there was some traffic on the L.I.T. this past week? If so, it is the first rail traffic to Grimmel's in a VERY long time (Since last September maybe?)
 #1027768  by gokeefe

I don't know if this is helpful or not but when I went through Brunswick on the 9th the train that was on the siding did not appear to have any Grimmel's hoppers on it. Looking like normal interchange traffic from Maine Eastern. I did note the presence of several Dragon Cement carrier cars (which led me to believe the whole cut was from/to ME).
 #1028615  by MaineMG

Yes, I believe it was a false alarm from my wife.
Looking at the crossing I could see that the winter's worth of sand that has filled the flange slot is still undisturbed meaning nothing has traveled through the crossing. I wonder what is up with rail shipments from the Grimmel facility? Stuff surely is traveling into and out of the facility by truck, but not by rail since late last summer as I recall.
 #1032323  by sleepingtree

FWIW, there was a fire last night at the fmr. Knight-Celotex plant in Lisbon. From a conversation I had with a cop at the scene, it sounds like a salvage company is working on demolishing the plant (that's probably what triggered the fire). So much for a rebirth of rail traffic. I'd like a chance to document the facilities before they're destroyed - if there's anyone out there with contacts who could get me access, please drop me a line.
 #1032429  by gokeefe

miketrainnut wrote:There is an elevation difference of 30 to 50 feet or so.
Indeed. I was certainly aware of this but wondering if perhaps there was some really early 1870's-1890's RoW going through the city (street running?) that had disappeared. Apparently not....
 #1032520  by bml1149

George,
At one time, Lewiston Lower did connect with the back road. At a location about 5 miles back down LL, at a location called Crowley's Junction, the line went from there and connected at Leed's Junction. This went away sometime in the '30's. They did leave the wye there and may still be there.
Leverett Fernald
 #1032613  by markhb

Found it. The intact Crowley's Junction is visible on this map (accessed here), and the current state can be seen here.

Was the GT Lewiston Branch ever connected directly to the MEC, either on the island in the vicinity of the two stations or back on the other side of the river where it crosses over the Back Road (or vice-versa, I forget which) near Washington Street and the (now) footbridge?