Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1609930  by newkirk

Thank you nyandw and EdwardHand
 #1609953  by newkirk

Bayside on the Port Washington branch ?
 #1609955  by MACTRAXX

BM - Good LIRR historical pictures from the 70s and 80s...I will go "backwards" in my identification reply:

DOUGLASTON station on the PW Branch looking east...Bayside Station's platforms are entirely in a cut below
ground level...

Main Line Signal 38.6 was once at the east end of the relocated DEER PARK Station...The Sagtikos Parkway
bridge is in the background looking eastward towards Pine-Aire...The grade crossing is LI Avenue...

M3 9897 is near the New Highway crossing as previously mentioned. The westbound train had just passed
Pinelawn Station...

The bridge photo with the vehicle underneath (NY plate 489-SST 1973/74 issue-Nassau County) is just S of
Country Life Press Station looking east on Meadow Street - The T intersection just east of the bridge is
St. James Street which goes past CLP Station north in the Village of Garden City...The GC/Hempstead
Village boundary is behind the homes on the south side of Meadow Street (right side of photo)...MACTRAXX
 #1609990  by newkirk

Thank you nyandw for your assistance

More pics to pick your mind
This is the yard that's by Harold Interlocking. The concrete ramp on the right was the now demolished Montauk cut off. So is this Yard 'A' ?

Is this Johnson Ave yard ? Note the M-1 has no yellow band on front and blue band on the side.

Is this Clinton Rd on the Central Branch ?

This one is anyone's guess.
 #1610006  by LB

Last shot is Wantagh Avenue, Wantagh looking east (mid 1960's).
Photo B from Newkirk's 4 NOV 22 Post is Freeport (Circa 1959)
 #1610030  by RGlueck

The blue stripe MP54 is a classic of the transition period. Was she in work service? Storage? Just a rare and classic LIRR shot from the period.
 #1610049  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: The blue stripe MP54 is a classic of the transition period. Was she in work service? Storage? Just a rare and classic LIRR shot from the period.
Definitely in work service at some point. Here are two more photos.
In Johnson Ave yard (Feb 1980). A combine to boot.

On the Bay Ridge branch (Jan 17, 1993) where I caught variouscars going out for scrap.
 #1610065  by RGlueck

Thanks for the additional identification! Seems like they're "melting" at the sills just as all the others in attempted preservation did. Really, this was a terrible slip in historic preservation for the LIRR and the history of Long Island commuters. I guess public money would have been called into question where preserving a historical collection is concerned. The presence of the best efforts of LIST, RMLI, and OBRM, likely would have entered the equation. Mind you, each of these organizations tried their best in what was a "no win" situation. The fact that OBRM is doing a heck of a job with a single P-54 coach says volumes. Getting in uder cover might be the next step. An indoor shelter for railroad relics is the basis for this kind of goal.
 #1610066  by newkirk

RGlueck wrote: Thanks for the additional identification!
Thank you RGlueck and nyandw for responding.

MP-54's in MTA blue and white is a stomach turner for me. Same goes for the NYC subway's IND R-7's and R-9's.
MTA "corporatee" colors don't cut it for me.
 #1610160  by wintower

newkirk wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:13 pm
RGlueck wrote: The blue stripe MP54 is a classic of the transition period. Was she in work service? Storage? Just a rare and classic LIRR shot from the period.
Definitely in work service at some point. Here are two more photos.
In Johnson Ave yard (Feb 1980). A combine to boot.

On the Bay Ridge branch (Jan 17, 1993) where I caught variouscars going out for scrap.
Is that a "gas turbine" car in the Bay Ridge picture? If so, where was it hiding all those years?
 #1610163  by newkirk

Is that a "gas turbine" car in the Bay Ridge picture? If so, where was it hiding all those years?
Scrapped in 1993, probably hiding in Richmond Hill yard for many years. I believe those to be the Garrett cars.
I see about four GT/E cars on the scrap line. The GT/E's were split between Garrett and G.E. The GE's and Garrett's' were not identical.

#1610188  by newkirk

Nice Shots RG

East Williston station RIP

What's the location of the bottom photo ?
 #1610214  by newkirk

Is this location Ronkonkoma, from the Ronkonkoma Ave bridge view east ? (August 1986)