Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1609526  by RGlueck

"Those were Metro North M-3As I photographed, not M-1s.
The photos are from 1983-85."

How can you tell? Dear God, I am getting old!
 #1609531  by MACTRAXX

BM - Good pictures of the MNCR M3a cars from 1984...In case anyone is unaware the MNCR M3 cars were built
before the LIRR cars - and were tested on the LIRR before final delivery to MNCR. Those cars were numbered
8000 to 8139 (140 cars) and today remain in service on MNCR. The big circle M logo was a MNCR spot feature.
The three pictures along Sunrise Highway are between Massapequa Park and Amityville near Sunrise Mall...

I remember when the MNCR M3 cars were being tested on the LIRR back in 1984 - this memory stands out:
I was waiting for a eastbound train one evening after dark at Carle Place - close to train time a MNCR M3 test
train pulls into the station...I was able to see inside the empty cars - the crew opened the doors opposite to
the platform to simulate a station stop and than closed them and pulled away before my Huntington train
arrived...I knew to watch for these M3 test trains and the differences between the M1 and M3 car types...

MACTRAXX
 #1609533  by newkirk

How can you tell? Dear God, I am getting old!
So am I. lol
 #1609535  by Head-end View

An easy way to tell an M3 from an M1 is by the metal frame around the side window of the engineers cab. The M1's did not have that. :-)
 #1609552  by MACTRAXX

H-E: The openable M3 cab end windows slid horizontally instead of the M1 cab end windows vertically.
I referred to these M3 windows as "D" windows for their shape...The problem with the M1 "drop" window was
that the window slot allowed water to enter and sometimes those windows were very sluggish to open and
close...I remember those openable M1 windows best during the Summer of 1980 with the widespread air
conditioning problems affecting the fleet that year as a spot to ride and get some air trying to beat the heat...
There were three M1 cars (one pair-9259/9260) that got "D" windows installed as a test - late 80s/early 90s.

BM: That last MNCR picture at the Jamaica Elevated was of a M1 car being tested after being overhauled by
the LIRR...MNCR's M1 cars were numbered 8200-8377 (178 cars built 1971-72) with the pictured car 8278...
There were spotting features inside and out of the M1 cars that the LIRR rehabilitated for MNCR such as
blue stripe sheeting instead of paint, the original fibreglass number signs replaced with black stick-on
numerals on white plexiglass and grooved flooring in the door areas the same as the LIRR cars had.
What is not known is the percentage of the MNCR M1 fleet that the LIRR overhauled in the mid to late 80s...
MACTRAXX
 #1609556  by newkirk

MACTRAXX wrote: BM: That last MNCR picture at the Jamaica Elevated was of a M1 car being tested after being overhauled by
the LIRR...MNCR's M1 cars were numbered 8200-8377 (178 cars built 1971-72) with the pictured car 8278...
There were spotting features inside and out of the M1 cars that the LIRR rehabilitated for MNCR such as
blue stripe sheeting instead of paint, the original fibreglass number signs replaced with black stick-on
numerals on white plexiglass and grooved flooring in the door areas the same as the LIRR cars had.
What is not known is the percentage of the MNCR M1 fleet that the LIRR overhauled in the mid to late 80s...
MACTRAXX
Thanks for the heads up. I thought they were M-3As being tested.

Next photo - Apologies for the poor quality. Is this location White pot Jct ?

#1609595  by newkirk

Thank you Work Extra

Can anyone identify the following photo locations and lines ?

Photo A - The taxi stand may be a clue.

Photo B - Between Copaigue & Lindenhurst before elevation of line ?

Photo C - Queens Village ?
 #1609727  by newkirk

Two more photos needing identifications of street underneath the trestle.
Garden City, Cherry Valley Ave ?

I think this trestle is between Hempstead and Franklin Ave, Garden City.
 #1609825  by newkirk

Photo A appears to be a Montauk Branch grade elimination item, yes?
Possibly, but what station ? It' s on a curve.
 #1609836  by nyandw

Lawrence Station looking towards Cedarhurst station. The TAXI stand was near the end of the eastbound platform at its east end and was put on top of the old third track which was used by freights between Cedarhurst and Far Rockaway. It can be seen on the Emory maps.

LAWRENCE did have a slight curve in its platforms, which still can be seen. The low platforms had "temporary" high platforms with wood and asphalt built on top of them until the pre-fab concrete pilings and station platform slabs were installed some years later. The LARGE Dashing Dan herald with no base on the first two cars tells me this is toward the late 1960's. Mike Boland
 #1609881  by newkirk

Lawrence Station looking towards Cedarhurst station.]
Thank you nyandw
Here's one on the Ronkonkoma Branch on March 12, 1993. Where is this ?

The next photo is a grade crossing on the Ronkonkoma Branch.
I did a satellite view and it seems this grade crossing probably was eliminated with the first second tracking of this line.
Any idea what street crossed this track ? The signal number may provide a clue. That's the Sagitkos Pkwy in the distance. (Sept 1986)