Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Phase II Dark Blue Paint

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#807367  by wseamo1

Hi everyone,

I'm a researcher for M.T.H. Electric Trains and we're working on the Pan Am GP-40 in the dark blue paint. I've read this color is
very similar to Missouri Pacific blue. Is this accurate? If anyone has any information on this color, please email me
at: [email protected]

Take care,

Bill
 #807409  by guilfordrailfan

Pan Am dark blue is a custom color, so there is no other railroad color that is an exact match. It is a VERY dark shade of blue and I'm pretty sure is actually a little darker than MoPac blue. I believe Santa Fe dark blue is a fairly close match.
 #807435  by Hux

wseamo1 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a researcher for M.T.H. Electric Trains and we're working on the Pan Am GP-40 in the dark blue paint. I've read this color is
very similar to Missouri Pacific blue. Is this accurate? If anyone has any information on this color, please email me
at: [email protected]

Take care,

Bill
Why not contact the fine folks at the Waterville shop and get the exact color mixture, or get a sample.
 #807454  by KSmitty

In the past someone on here has said that while the paint may look like MoPac, the cans actually come labeled "Santa Fe Blue"
 #807456  by bmcdr

ATLAS just came out with a GP-40 done up in PanAm a couple of months ago, perhaps they've already done the research and can help you out.
 #807465  by MEC407

The interesting thing about this blue is that it can look vastly different depending on whether it's a sunny day or an overcast day. That's true of all colors, but there's just something about this color that makes the difference more stark.