Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1407730  by Hux

I can hear the horn here in Tonic on this foggy morning. Would that I had the time to chase a train.

Tonic...no, Gonic, yes. Stinkin' autocorrect...and posting in daylight when you can't really see the screen.
Last edited by Hux on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1409351  by MEC407

Photo by Justin Winiarz:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/596547/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1413472  by b&m 1566

Is NHN now servicing a customer up the line north of the shops, or is that still a work in progress? I believe someone a while back said the track was rehab and washout repaired for a potential customer.

Edit: Google maps shows the rehabbed track north of the shop.
 #1413617  by bm1838

The track north of the shop is active to about 1/4 mile south of Route 171. We use the track for car storage currently. Potential customers continue to arise to the north, time will tell what may developed up in that section of track, or if more track between route 171 and route 28 on the NHN property is reinstalled. The steel customer has significantly tripled its business this year, so Burleyville Siding in East Wakefield is kept open for additional steel car storage, and the 30 or so hoppers that are normally stored in the winter have been parked up north towards 171.

Cory
 #1413687  by b&m 1566

Is NHN trying to keep all the potential growth to the north within their own property, or could any of this potentially require some use of the state owned portion?
 #1413787  by gokeefe

b&m 1566 wrote:Is NHN trying to keep all the potential growth to the north within their own property, or could any of this potentially require some use of the state owned portion?
Wow, hadn't even given any thought to NHN extending their operating rights. Great question ...
 #1413886  by bm1838

IF and IF business arises on the state portion I am sure the NHN would be first in line, and the state is pleased with the current operations so I am sure they would want NHN first in line. However, cant fix tracks without revenue, and all "potential" business which forms and disappears on a daily basis, is just as that states "a potential". Many new things have came up and gone over the years, usually after customers do more investigation into what shipping rates would be prior to interchanging with NHN to get their products here, they are discouraged at costs. Also connecting carriers don't always hold up to their guarantees which spreads by word of mouth between new businesses interested in shipping.

Cory
 #1414645  by GP40MC1118

B721 did not pick it up last night. Needs to be inspected/approved for movement by CSX Mechanical Dpt.
I don't expect to move until Tuesday or Wednesday the earliest due to the holiday. B721 may or may not
run Sunday or Monday and even if they do, its needs to be inspected.

D
 #1415323  by Dick H

Last evening (1/3), DOBO was unable to set off the empty LPG cars
at Dover, that the NHN had brought down, as the two track "Dover
Yard" was "plugged". Instead, DOBO took he empties to Rockingham
and set them off there. Over the last 10 days or so, between a PAR
local job and lots if LPG, loaded and empty, the NHN has had to do
a number of "dance moves" putting their northbound train together,
and has not been leaving Dover until after 9:00 AM some days.