Railroad Forums 

• How "profitable" is the NEC?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#68446  by RMadisonWI

Ken W2KB wrote:>>>there are certain items which may lend to some additional curiosity (such as "Superliner Depreciation"). I can't answer questions regarding why they are there (since I didn't produce the documents), other than to say that the amounts are minimal, and they are the result of some formula <<<

Perhaps the equipment is now fully depreciated, having served the number of years originally estimated for the depreciation period?
No, I was referring to the existence of "Superliner Depreciation" as an expense on the NED/Metroliners, seeing as how they don't, never have, and never will operate such equipment. (There were also lines of expense for Talgo equipment, despite such being 3000 miles away). In any event, items such as "electric locomotive wreck repair" and what have you also appear on the financials of the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight, even though you aren't likely to see an AEM-7 west of Harrisburg any time soon.

#68488  by Ken W2KB

Sorry, I misunderstood. That is confusing. Maybe it's an allocation of some overhead for an electrical shop that does some work on the electrical side of diesels but is mainly for full electric repairs. That's a stretch, though.