Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1368223  by RearOfSignal

Interesting article in a recent NY Post:

http://nypost.com/2016/01/24/grand-cent ... -turnover/
The historic terminal became a shopping and dining destination in 1998, following an ambitious overhaul that created more than 100 spaces for stores and restaurants. But after more than 15 years, some of those venues are getting stale, and the terminal’s landlord, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, wants to freshen up the food options.
The one that surprises me the most is Junior's being ousted, being the one food option in GCT that was truly "New York", replaced by a sandwich place that sells lawn-clippings on a ciabatta bun. God-forbid I want more than one slice of meat on a sandwich. As someone who works in and around the terminal, its seems like there will be plenty of choices in GCT but they will all be selling the same thing, foo-foo food. Hopefully Zaro's stays, that might be the only place left to get a New York bagel and a coffee in the terminal. I'm not really a Roasted Mushroom Frittata guy. I guess I'm not as cultured as I thought I was.
 #1368233  by kitn1mcc

JR was the only decent place to eat there. it would be mutiny if Zaros left
 #1368244  by GirlOnTheTrain

Zaro's is disgustingly overrated. Their bagels are terrible.

The Central Market down in the basement on the east side of the food court next to the tracks is my favorite...their mozzarella and prosciutto grilled cheeses are delicious.

I used to like Eata Pita, but last time I had it, it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.
 #1368310  by Ridgefielder

naugatroll wrote:Zaro's is disgustingly overrated. Their bagels are terrible.

The Central Market down in the basement on the east side of the food court next to the tracks is my favorite...their mozzarella and prosciutto grilled cheeses are delicious.

I used to like Eata Pita, but last time I had it, it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.
Central Market is actually a survivor of pre-renovation GCT. If I recall correctly, its old location was on the upper level, on the passageway leading to the Lexington Ave. subway and the 42nd St. entrance nearest the Grand Hyatt-- hard for me to say exactly though, since that whole area has been changed around so much.

Personally a big fan of the takeout window at the Oyster Bar. At $6.50 a cup, the New England Clam Chowder is the best lunch value in the neighborhood.
 #1368345  by NaugyRR

Aw man, Two Boots is going too, I really like their pizza.

Hopefully Magnolias stays, their cheesecake cupcakes are pretty damn amazing.
 #1368358  by Ridgefielder

While I don't love seeing these places close-- or the prices go up-- I've got to say that anything the MTA can do to raise $$ without raising fares, they should do it. If that means I have to walk to 41st to find a decently-priced deli sandwich, so be it.
 #1368364  by truck6018

Aside from Starbucks, Zaro's is the only coffee shop left on the west side of the the terminal. Not only Juniors left but Hot and Crusty did too.

I often find the staff at the west end Zaro's rude. Often you can go in there later in the evening after 4 or 5 staff behind the counter busy talking or staring into space and can't be bothered to help you.
Last edited by truck6018 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1368403  by ajp

i was under the impression that only the upstairs Juniors was closing, not the downstairs. Not true?
 #1368418  by Ridgefielder

truck6018 wrote:Aside from Starbucks, Zaro's is the only coffee shop left on the west side of the the terminal. Not only Juniors left but Hot and Crusty did too.

I often find the staff at the west end Zaro's rude. Often you can go in there later in the evening and 4 or 5 staff behind the counter busy talking or staring into space and can't be bothered to help you.
I think that "New York State" place next to the upstairs Juniors sells coffee. Also-- don't forget the Dunkin Donuts in old Roosevelt passage.
 #1368441  by truck6018

I forgot about the New York place. I think they close pretty early. Dunkin Donuts is alright but it's more or less a 9 to 5 place and closed on weekends.
 #1368867  by Steamboat Willie

Junior's on the Upper Level which ROS speaks of next to the SMO also was one of the quickest places to grab coffee especially during the morning rush. Cup of Joe across from the Graybar passage is about as slow as Starbucks. Zaro's is abysmal. Taste of NY does serve up coffee, however I am not a fan. Most of us whom work in GCT know the food is much more reasonable outside compared to the offerings within the terminal.
 #1369765  by DutchRailnut

yeah but did food cart guy wash his hands after he peed on street.
 #1369767  by Jeff Smith

That just adds to the flavor :wink:

Two words: hand sanitizer. Did the guy at Starbucks wash his hands? Just because there's a toilet doesn't mean they practice good hygiene.