Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Rockingham Racer

Jeff Smith wrote:That just adds to the flavor :wink:

Two words: hand sanitizer. Did the guy at Starbucks wash his hands? Just because there's a toilet doesn't mean they practice good hygiene.
DutchRailnut wrote:yeah but did food cart guy wash his hands after he peed on street.
What an interesting way to start a Friday! LOL! :P
  by Terrapin Station

RearOfSignal wrote:Interesting article in a recent NY Post:

http://nypost.com/2016/01/24/grand-cent ... -turnover/

Hopefully Zaro's stays, that might be the only place left to get a New York bagel and a coffee in the terminal.
You can get a bagel at Mendy's Dairy on the lower level.
  by Gilbert B Norman

One must wonder how many customers at this new GCT eatery know of the railroad heritage, USA and UK, its name carries?

http://nytimes.com/2016/10/19/dining/gr ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Stephen B. Carey

I have got so say this thread has been really eye opening to me since I haven't been to GCT in quite a while and plan on going there at the end of the month. I am also sad to see the Campbell Apartment has closed due to leasing issues. It will be interesting to see all the new restaurants in the terminal, it seems like its a really nice eating destination. Especially compared to Penn Station.
  by NaugyRR

I was down Saturday and it didn't seem too different aside from Two Boots and a couple others missing. Even got a couple cookies and a chai tea from Magnolia's! :-)
  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote:One must wonder how many customers at this new GCT eatery know of the railroad heritage, USA and UK, its name carries?

http://nytimes.com/2016/10/19/dining/gr ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Couldn't say. However, I can say that the bartenders at Agern, the "high-end" restaurant cited in the same review, are knowledgeable about the history of the terminal. Had drinks there shortly after it opened and got an impromptu lecture about how the space they were occupying was the men's smoking lounge when GCT opened in 1913 and had been used for storage since the 1950's.

Can also say that sea buckthorn and aquavit make the sort of cocktail that tastes innocent but can cause you to wake up in North White Plains if you're not careful. :-D
  by bingdude

In my opinion, just about everything in the terminal is overpriced for what you get. It's just the same as at an airport. Your are viewed as a captive clientele so they set the price high.

I try to get whatever I think I might want (beer, coke, falafel) before I even get to the terminal.
  by ExCon90

According to a Metro North representative during a tour of GCT a few years ago, the rents are calculated to provide some revenue recovery for the extensive rehab they gave the station. As far as I'm concerned, an excellent job and well worth what it cost, but it has to be paid for somehow, and MN serves just the demographic that can handle it.
  by truck6018

bingdude wrote:In my opinion, just about everything in the terminal is overpriced for what you get....
There are very few other places that I know of that you can get an $8.00 hot dog.
  by Ridgefielder

ExCon90 wrote:According to a Metro North representative during a tour of GCT a few years ago, the rents are calculated to provide some revenue recovery for the extensive rehab they gave the station. As far as I'm concerned, an excellent job and well worth what it cost, but it has to be paid for somehow, and MN serves just the demographic that can handle it.
Completely agree. If the MTA can make extra revenue off the terminal, they should-- hey, maybe it holds down the cost of my monthly. They've turned it into a premier Midtown retail destination. And contra the earlier poster it's not like an airport; there are plenty of places to get a cheap beer and a bite to eat w/in two blocks of GCT.

Even within GCT there are still options. You can get a cup of New England clam chowder from the takeout window of the Oyster Bar for ~$7, which is one of the cheapest and best lunches you'll find in East Midtown. The platform bar carts are a bargain. And buying a couple craft beers from the place by Track 13 and drinking them with your friends at one of the stand-up tables on the Lower Level is cheaper than going to any bar.
  by Stephen B. Carey

Agreed, I can get two beers for less than ten bucks at the cart on the platform before hopping on my train, craft beer too!
  by truck6018

There's a difference between the bar carts and the retailers.

The bar carts are owned and operated by Metro North, hence little overhead. There's only the cost of the product and employee.

The retail locations have significantly greater overhead as they have to pay for the space among other things.
  by Stephen B. Carey

That didn't occur to me, interesting. Although I must say that the food and drink in the food court has always seemed reasonable to me. Even by Manhattan standards. :wink: