Railroad Forums 

• Following the Last Smurf (MEC 511)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1300258  by KSmitty

BostonUrbEx wrote:I take it that the 511 was intentionally left as not repainted? Since it's been the last for over 3 years or so, now, right?

Is the current dark blue with white stenciling the Phase II, seeing as smurf was "Phase I"?

Are there any models with the smurf Phase I scheme? I've never seen one. Would love to have a nice HO scale smurf!
-They only had 2 in the "Ph.1" or "smurf" or whatever. 511 and 505. 505 spent some time OOS, and at the time SOP was repaint after repair. Thats changed now, I don't think they've painted anything other than contract work in a couple years, (that includes the couple of fresh 500's, they were reportedly sold to GMTX and leased back). I don't think 511 has been set aside as a "Pan Am Heritage" unit or anything, it simply didn't fail with a repair that warranted repainting during the time between 03/2010 and the end of 2012 when they went on a painting barrage getting 18 of 20 600's and several of the others dipped. This is of course ironic as 505 actually had a decent coat of paint when it got done, but 511 had been tagged when 505 got dipped...oh well.

-Dark blue would be "Ph.2" or "dip" or "newblue" or whatever you choose to call it, yes.

-I've seen some rather nice models of 511, or maybe 505, smurf'd in HO. But I don't know if it was a custom job or an out of the box deal.
 #1315205  by MEC407

Photo by Andy Biron:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=221850" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1318358  by jaymac

511 was the 3rd unit of a 4-unit light-power move (leader ID as 340 by radio, others too far away for accurate number-reading) that was west of Wachusett before 0740/02-20-2015
 #1326803  by 690

Nope... the 313 (second engine) had died by Royal Junction, and they were planning on swapping it out with the power for DJ-1 once they got to Danville, but for whatever reason it was decided that they would continue on with it dead. Not like they especially needed it, since they only had 18 loads and 85 empties.
 #1328369  by KSmitty

511 is the trailing unit on PORU which is currently 20:57 4/28 at Leeds Jct under the care of a maintainer. Lead unit was 377 followed by 374. Train stretched west of Roy.

Right was full. Long time residents (2 derelicts from a derailment in Greene on 3/7 and a plow) were joined by (from east to west) marker, ~25 boxes and hoppers, 321.

Tk.2 was empty from Roy to the crossing, so I'm not sure why Right was chosen to put away a piece of a train.