Railroad Forums 

• Fairmount Line Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1638281  by nomis

If there was talks of upgrading the Signal system on the DB and the SB, then we would be having a progressive talk about potential electrification. As of now, neither territory can use their museum relics of a signal system and support electrification.
 #1638368  by Douglasphil

Last time I was on it ,the Fairmont Line had been upgraded to ACES/cab signal. The Stoughton was cab signal but no ACES beyond a 1000'or so past Junction .
 #1638394  by apodino

Commuterrail1050 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:08 am EMUs and electric locos aren’t happening anytime soon. That would take years for either option to occur. Do you know how long it would take to put up catenary wires for all lines? The way that projects are now to complete them, they would take forever to do this. Better off having what we have for now.
Why not in the short term just get some ALP-45s? These can run on Catenary on the NEC, but Diesel in other areas. This would fix the air quality problems at Back Bay, and it would buy the T time to get more electrified without them having to rush the project.
 #1638448  by wicked

I understand that substations would need to be built to support significant electrification on the Providence Line. Also there is track at Attleboro that’s not electrified, same for the station track at TF Green.
 #1638477  by Commuterrail1050

Those if they were to happen would only be able to go to providence and would have to stop at Attleboro on track 1 and 2. Btw, the layover yard doesn’t have any catenary and they would have to be stored at Amtrak south Hampton yard where there is catenary.
 #1638508  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Keolis pays Amtrak to let us store equipment in SHSY and the Front yard (no OCS)... its theirs, and they are not fans of us storing in their yard...$$$ pays. Tracks 1 2 and 4, HOLDEN to HEBRONVILLE are electrified Track 3 is not.
 #1638530  by CRail

Nothing north (east) of New Haven had catenary until it did...
 #1638533  by BandA

As I've suggested before, contract with Amtrak to maintain electric locomotives for PVD line, and have Keolis maintain the locomotives and trainsets for the Downeaster. Using ALC42E locomotive sets might allow trains to use non-electrified station tracks and limp home to Boston Engine Terminal for maintenance instead of using the Amtrak yard.
 #1638537  by MBTA3247

Please stop with this nonsense that the T will cripple service patterns by running electric trains without first installing the limited amount of infrastructure needed to actually run them. When they do get around to electrifying the Providence line, all of the station and yard tracks currently without catenary will get it long before any electric equipment shows up on the property. The existing substations already have space set aside for additional transformers to provide the power that the T would need.
 #1638558  by Commuterrail1050

I’m not saying that service would be crippled by this move. Im just stating my opinion of what they would need to do in order to use electric locos for service. It isn’t going to happen anytime soon or in the near future. Would it improve service, yes it would for the northeast corridor at least. I’m not going to get into it since it has nothing to do with the fairmount line. This might be better suited for its own dedicated topic.
 #1638564  by Red Wing

But the Fairmont will be one of the 1st lines electrified, be it for the environmental justice neighborhoods it goes through or as a relief valve or emergency route to South Station. So getting the 1st step electrified directly affects the Fairmount line.
 #1638583  by BandA

Traditionally, electrification reduces the operating costs compared to diesel. The MBTA should not consider electrification nor battery operations unless they can demonstrate that it will save money.
 #1638645  by CSRR573

BandA wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 am As I've suggested before, contract with Amtrak to maintain electric locomotives for PVD line, and have Keolis maintain the locomotives and trainsets for the Downeaster. Using ALC42E locomotive sets might allow trains to use non-electrified station tracks and limp home to Boston Engine Terminal for maintenance instead of using the Amtrak yard.
Shhhhhhhh please stop this nonsense, I already have too much work fixing the bucket of bolts AKA the ACS-64s, Dont give me more work! :P
 #1638647  by R36 Combine Coach

Red Wing wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:29 am But the Fairmont will be one of the 1st lines electrified, be it for the environmental justice neighborhoods it goes through or as a relief valve or emergency route to South Station.
Also would allow selected peak express trains to skip Ruggles and Back Bay.