Railroad Forums 

• Diesel/Battery passenger consists

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1624071  by STrRedWolf

So some thoughts jelled in my mind concerning battery powered locomotives... and with the 24 hours of Le Mans having braking tied to battery charging, I had a few ideas... namely, for passenger consists. (Think Amtrak Airo setup)

Take the diesel engine and put the power generated by dynamic braking into the batteries. Use those batteries for head-end power (with a HEP engine backup). Sprinkle solar on top for fun. Saves on diesel.

Opinions?
 #1624088  by RandallW

Most battery electric locomotives already use regenerative braking (as do most electric and hybrid cars). A firm called Edison Motors out of British Columbia is working on doing just what you suggested for trucks.
 #1624104  by Allen Hazen

Diesel/battery passenger locomotives have exist4ed. The New York Central had a class of (GE built) diesel/battery/thirdrail switchers, built in I think the late 1920s, primarily for service on th West Side (of Manhattan Island) freight line: they were at least occasionally used to haul short-ish commute trains beyond the end of the electrification at Harmon, New York. (No regenerative braking, however.)
Their (Ingersoll-Rand) diesel engines were of only 300 hp. So: short commuter runs are well within the capacities of battery-electric locomotives... even with 1920s battery technology!