• Diesel/Battery passenger consists

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by STrRedWolf

So some thoughts jelled in my mind concerning battery powered locomotives... and with the 24 hours of Le Mans having braking tied to battery charging, I had a few ideas... namely, for passenger consists. (Think Amtrak Airo setup)

Take the diesel engine and put the power generated by dynamic braking into the batteries. Use those batteries for head-end power (with a HEP engine backup). Sprinkle solar on top for fun. Saves on diesel.

Opinions?
  by MRY

In theory, your idea works. But please, no one suggest adding windmills OK?
  by RandallW

Most battery electric locomotives already use regenerative braking (as do most electric and hybrid cars). A firm called Edison Motors out of British Columbia is working on doing just what you suggested for trucks.
  by Allen Hazen

Diesel/battery passenger locomotives have exist4ed. The New York Central had a class of (GE built) diesel/battery/thirdrail switchers, built in I think the late 1920s, primarily for service on th West Side (of Manhattan Island) freight line: they were at least occasionally used to haul short-ish commute trains beyond the end of the electrification at Harmon, New York. (No regenerative braking, however.)
Their (Ingersoll-Rand) diesel engines were of only 300 hp. So: short commuter runs are well within the capacities of battery-electric locomotives... even with 1920s battery technology!