Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1639584  by RFRailFan

So I was thinking... BG/WH receive lots of product via the rails weekly. Anyone know where in the Country their lumber originates, how many exchanges takes place (what railroads), and how long it takes an average car to go from Point A to Point B... days, weeks, months? Thanks!
 #1639589  by Bracdude181

Easiest way to find out is to look at the covers on the Lumber and look up the company names. Some of it comes from Columbia Falls, Montana and has to go over Marias Pass before being handed off to NS or CSX (Usually CSX) for the trip to North Jersey. Woodhaven I think sources their sheet rock somewhere down south since I've seen their cars on CSX manifests that come from Philly and Waycross Georgia.

Other Lumber sources appear to be out in Canada. Depends on who they buy from.

Side note, I'm being told the bridge is just about done.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

#1639591  by RFRailFan

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:27 am Easiest way to find out is to look at the covers on the Lumber and look up the company names. Some of it comes from Columbia Falls, Montana and has to go over Marias Pass before being handed off to NS or CSX (Usually CSX) for the trip to North Jersey. Woodhaven I think sources their sheet rock somewhere down south since I've seen their cars on CSX manifests that come from Philly and Waycross Georgia.

Other Lumber sources appear to be out in Canada. Depends on who they buy from.

Side note, I'm being told the bridge is just about done.

That's great information...thanks! Between the miles, exchanges, etc., it probably takes a good 2-3 weeks on average from order to delivery?
 #1639593  by Bracdude181

Ehhhh... Total transit time seems to vary but I can't imagine it takes more than a week maybe a week and a half to get to down here? The slowest part absolutely has to be the Oak Island to Jamesburg/Red Bank portion of the trip. Sometimes it takes 3 days just for that part!

#1639598  by RFRailFan

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:05 pm Actually now you've got me thinking who's faster between Chicago and the NY Metro? NS or CSX? Especially considering the difference in their routes...

Yeah... direct through PA (NS) or update NY (CSX)
 #1639600  by jdh823

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:05 pm Actually now you've got me thinking who's faster between Chicago and the NY Metro? NS or CSX? Especially considering the difference in their routes...
CSX requires less trains. Unsure of actual transit times but I would think CSX

-Theoretically M368 from BRC to Selkirk, then 433 down to OI
-NS the fastest would be 16G to Conway, 10K to Allentown, then 18G to OI