Railroad Forums 

• CSX Derailment near Amsterdam, NY - 6/27/13

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1196343  by K4Pacific

A CSX train has derailed in the Town of Mohawk, located west of Amsterdam. It happened around 7:30 a.m. near State Route 5 at Martin Road, along the Mohawk River, according to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office. 20 train cars were involved. No injuries have been reported so far but HazMat has been called to the scene for a possible spill of hazardous materials that was being transported on the train cars. State Route 5 is closed in both directions between Highway 334 in the Town of Mohawk and Highway 10 in the Town of Palatine until further notice.

They just instructed Q263-27 to tie down at (Quist? mumbler nerves) and leave ppwork on lead unit and cab was on the way.
 #1196400  by K4Pacific

Q364-26 and Q461 (which I didn't know was back in service between Selkirk and New Castle.
 #1196404  by K4Pacific

Current plan as of 11:30 am: BH-1 is already in Syracuse with SU-99/100. They will be building the 100 and parking it until Saturday morning. The BH-1 crew will bring the 1st detour train south from Syracuse to Binghamton. They will park it and it will run east on the SU-100 schedule this evening. CL-1 was cancelled this morning because they rec'd no freight from CP, NS, or CSX for Cortland or Tully. However, the CL-1 crew has been marked for 1500 to taxi to Syracuse for the Q100 (reported to be the hottest train on the railroad). But it will only go as far as Binghamton presently until there is a crew rested to take east. Might see some westbound detours as well, but unsure at present time.
 #1196534  by Noel Weaver

O-6-O wrote:Wouldn't the West Shore be handy right now? LOL
In the days when the West Shore was double track and ABS all the way it would have been super handy, might take a bit longer at 40 MPH but the trains would have moved. Unfortunately this is way in the past thanks to lack of business and the tax structure of both the state and the towns that it passed through. I can remember back in the rather late 1940's my father and I would camp out along the Mohawk somewhere between Palatine Bridge and North Ilion for a few hours of train watching and we would almost always see a couple of trains on the West Shore during that period as well. I suspect that in those days it was also a good route for trains with restricted cars (speed that is) as they would be kept moving but out of the way of the fleet of passenger trains on tracks 1 and 2 and freight trains on 3 and 4. There were lots of trains in Upstate New York during those years.
Noel Weaver
 #1196606  by charlie6017

Quite a few from what I understand. The folks on the Yahoo group, "TierSightings" are reporting that
Q156, the Veggie express Q091 and 090 trains and a few others are running over the Tier. If you're not
a member you should sign up.......great stuff!

Charlie
 #1196630  by lvrr325

CSX get any flood damage on top of this? I've seen some pictures and there was high water in Whitesboro enough a guy was going down the street in a small boat. Not that that's uncommon in that area, it did that last year too.