Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#956283  by Cosmo

Yep! I'll be up too definitely. A buddy of mine is riding the train so I'll be pacing/chasing/taking pics.
I'll be the guy in the WW&F Ry hat. :wink:
 #956314  by superwarp1

Change of plans. The wife balked at seven hours. Doesn't care to do all the photo run byes. So we are doing lunch on the Valley train being pulled by 7470, sweat. Just as good :)

Cosmo I'll be looking out for you around the yard at least.
 #956368  by #7470

Wouldn't it just make sense to run 7470 in the Valley the rest of the season since she's only a month away from the start of her short running season? Reason for not running 7470 in the summer like they used to is because (or at least this is what I was told) of the Thomas event. What are the negatives that come out of running her for the month prior to her season if she's gonna get all steamed up tomorrow?
 #956381  by greenus90

#7470 wrote:What are the negatives that come out of running her for the month prior to her season if she's gonna get all steamed up tomorrow?

They would run it, if only they were serious about running a steam program.
 #956391  by superwarp1

From what I have heard from the one train crew that I talked to last June when I rode is this. The lone owner of the Conway Scenic is very tight with the money and he doesn't like running the 7470 do to cost(figure about double of what it takes to run a diesel). The only way to get them to change this policy is for the Conway to change hands.

Conway scenic is in business to make money, plan and simple. Yes they have some nice vintage equipment but if it didn't make money or cost to much to operate it would be gone.
 #956399  by gokeefe

superwarp1 wrote:From what I have heard from the one train crew that I talked to last June when I rode is this. The lone owner of the Conway Scenic is very tight with the money and he doesn't like running the 7470 do to cost(figure about double of what it takes to run a diesel). The only way to get them to change this policy is for the Conway to change hands.

Conway scenic is in business to make money, plan and simple. Yes they have some nice vintage equipment but if it didn't make money or cost to much to operate it would be gone.
Although it is certainly true that Conway Scenic is in business to make a profit. I strongly disagree with the premise that their ultimate and only goal is monetary. Were that true they wouldn't have donated equipment to the Downeast Scenic Railroad or bother with the expense and trouble of finding and operating equipment that has roots in Northern New England's historic mainline railroads. There are much cheaper ways for them to run their operation that would likely still continue to yield plenty of passengers including railfans of all stripes and colors.

They have had and continue to have a strong interest in historical preservation where practical and when possible within a revenue model. MEC #501 (see topic elsewhere) doesn't fit that criteria, MEC #252 does, GT #7470 also does, albeit on a more limited basis in the past due to changes in government regulations not just changes in ownership. I always try to give credit where credit is due and in my mind Conway Scenic deserves more credit than any other organization by far for continuing to run standard gauge passenger equipment from the golden era of railroading.
 #956666  by gokeefe

miketrainnut wrote:Pretty bad accident today, happened in the chase line. About 4 cars. 1 Car was covered on return so hope no one died.

Mike
Just to be clear I take it we're talking about railfans who were chasing the CSRR?

The unfamiliar might think this was some kind of accident on the railroad itself.
 #956678  by 44 tonner

Gokeefe and Mike, idk if it was railfans, but yes, someone did pass away... that is why they had the white tarp over the van... we (Cory F, Jim A and I) were coming back from Whitefield (To get food) and we were caught in the line of traffic, so we turned around, and caught the train crossing Rt. 3 with like, three others... all the others had to go around I am assuming.