• Conway Scenic Railroad Discussion (CSRX) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mikejf

b&m 1566 wrote:miketrainut - may be able to give more insight into this has he did confirm on another site that a mechanic from Finger Lakes did come out and look into 2820 and 1943. This may be what Mr. Hallet was getting at in the Wheel Report about how he had some stuff to talk about in the next one.
Don't throw me under the train. I just inquired after reading about it. I did state that I have an idea what this unit will be for. But purely speculation. And instead of making a guess, I'm just going to sit back and see if what I'm thinking has any merit. I don't believe anyone will be upset. The GEs will get a home and possible use and Conway Scenic gets a new (to them) Geep. Win Win situation?
  by b&m 1566

I’m not throwing you under the train; I just merely stated that you did confirm and that you might know more.
In any case, I look forward to watching this unfold.
  by Arborwayfan

Speaking of the steam excursion to Hazens on July 31, does anyone have a rough idea of when it will pass points in the Notch? The kids are too small for such a long and pricey trip, but I was thinking of combining a hike with trying to see the train at the Arethusa falls trailhead, or on the Frankenstein trestle, or in the Gate, or from one of the cascades by the highway just below the Gate, which probably give a series of views as the train goes along the opposite wall of Notch. I know there's a published schedule for departure from N Conway, arrival at Hazens, and return to N. Conway, but could anyone with good guesses about in-between times please share them?
  by b&m 1566

On a normal day (without photo runs) it takes the train two hours to reach Crawfords Station. If they plan on having any photo stops either before or while in the notch you might want to add another hour before they reach the station. I know Willey Brook Bridge is a popular spot for photo runbys as well as the gateway.
  by obienick

This might be OT, but does anyone know the number of the last engine to head south from North Conway before abandonment?
  by Reader#108

7470 last went all the way up the Notch in 07.....I was just curious, where is the confirmation that the swap is a done deal? I may have missed that post here, or over there after I got banned for telling the truth....
  by Noel Weaver

Arborwayfan wrote:Speaking of the steam excursion to Hazens on July 31, does anyone have a rough idea of when it will pass points in the Notch? The kids are too small for such a long and pricey trip, but I was thinking of combining a hike with trying to see the train at the Arethusa falls trailhead, or on the Frankenstein trestle, or in the Gate, or from one of the cascades by the highway just below the Gate, which probably give a series of views as the train goes along the opposite wall of Notch. I know there's a published schedule for departure from N Conway, arrival at Hazens, and return to N. Conway, but could anyone with good guesses about in-between times please share them?
Sometimes organizations that sponsor trips will provide some infomation to persons not buying tickets for the trip in exchange for a contribution to help cover the costs of trips of this nature. If you feel so inclined, here is some information:

www.massbayrre.org

[email protected]

Or you might try to call at 978-470-2066

Trips of this nature are quite expensive to operate and the costs must be shared by those who enjoy riding them or in your case not riding them but following them. I suggest you try to contact Mass Bay RRE.
Noel Weaver
  by Mikejf

Reader, July 2011 Railpace has the same news. That had to have reached them before press time. Not saying it is a done deal, but it is in print in a news magazine. I'm hoping my speculation for the unit comes to be. It would add nicely to the roster.

Mike
  by Dick H

On the previous trip of the 7470 through the notch, there were two
fire trucks at the Crawford's station to give her a drink. Probably,
that will be the case again this trip. They probably will let the
passengers off to use the "facilities" at the AMC building next to
the station.

The #2820 was the "shadow" unit the last time. The #252 will probably
have the duty this time, including leading back to North Conway from
Hazens. Lots of changes to the CSRX roster since then..
  by Reader#108

Ah, ok....thanks Mike.....if it is in print in a magazine, then there must be something to it.....it has been something that I have heard about from back around February so it doesn't really come as much of a suprise....I truely hope that they get rid of the Boats and get the 9, because they could certainly use it....I think that the Boats may be just too big and expensive to repair for them, so perhaps FLRR can use them for parts or get one running.....I thought I also saw that Finger Lakes is not running passenger excursions anymore....perhaps this helps to make the move....
  by Mikejf

As reported by the Nashua Telegraph:

TWIN MOUNTAIN – Fire broke out in a Conway Scenic Railway dining car early Wednesday afternoon, according to a dispatch from the N.H. Fire-EMS alert system.

The extent of the blaze isn’t known, nor were there any reports of injuries. The dispatch said Twin Mountain and Bethlehem firefighters were called out shortly after 12:30 p.m. to Route 302 near Crawford Notch, just east of the Appalachan Mountain Club’s Highland Lodge.

The train was reportedly enroute to the Crawford station when the fire broke out.

The railway, in its 37th year of operation, is popular with local and regional residents as well as tourists and takes passengers on different routes through the Mount Washington Valley to view some of the state’s most picturesque scenery.

Two historically-restored dining cars serve lunch on two midday departures. Dinner cruises also run three evenings a week.

--DEAN SHALHOUP

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/925 ... burns.html
  by b&m 1566

It appears to have been very minor but it's better to be safe than sorry. From the sounds of things it was businesses as usual on the return trip.