Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1005092  by F-line to Dudley via Park

TomNelligan wrote:What sort of trackage/yard/sidings remain in Suffield these days? I haven't been through there since the Conrail days and I wonder if it's worth a visit before it gets ripped up.
Not much. Looks like a newish condo building on the corner of Ffyfer Pl. and 168 clipped the very end of the runaround. There's 400+ feet of 2-track ending behind the truck garage, then anything else is decades-submerged or possibly gone altogether. There's not the faintest hint on Google Satellite of yard tracks still buried in the gravel lot behind the depot.
 #1005168  by RonM

In the book I mentioned in an earlier post there a picture with a partial shot of a brick enginehouse. (Which the 4-4-0 engine crashed through) I wonder where that was? I figure in that area. I'll have to contact the Suffield Historical Society and/or look for a picture at the Amherst show in a couple a weeks.
 #1005539  by Larry

Hello RonM;

The picture you are mentioning might be the one that was taken in Hartford CT where a 4-4-0 is hanging out the back end as it went through the back of the engine house wall. That was many many years ago and nothing of that is left in Hartford. The Capital building and the State Armory hold that land now. I maybe wrong but I think that is the picture you are thinking of.
In Suffield there really isn't much left. Funny thing about this line to be abandon, my take on it that the bridge was knocked out of service somehow and CSOR and town argued who was to pay to have it fixed and by the time it was settled, the company it was serving went out of business...
 #1005596  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

The bridge was repaired some years ago and they recieved cars up until about the summer of 2008, regardless of what the filing says. I spotted one of the last cars, if not the last car up there before Stevenson/Laureno went out of business.I didn't make the last trip over this section though because someone else pulled the car. I also have the "blue maps" of this portion of the line from way back when, it shows quite a bit of track at the end including the engine house with turntable. I have to look for it as I haven't taken it out in years.
 #1005623  by RonM

Hi Larry. Different occurrence. I believe the photo you are referring to was snapped by A.H. Pease on July 8, 1905 when locomotive 321 crashed through the wall of the roundhouse.

The one I am talking about is when the some CT Literary Institution students went joy riding on the "Huckleberry"(maybe #88) and failed to stop correctly, crashing through the enginehouse. The date is not mentioned in the book or if this was a NH controlled line line at time of occurrence.
 #1005628  by RonM

Mike L: When you operated out that way, would the crew leave a flare in the road signifying train activity? Specifically the RT75 crossing at Stony Brook Park.
 #1005785  by Ridgefielder

So does this mean that the New Canaan branch will be the last fully-intact line in the State of Connecticut that was built as-- well-- a branch? Everything else I can think of is a stub-ending of something else.
 #1005836  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Ridgefielder wrote:So does this mean that the New Canaan branch will be the last fully-intact line in the State of Connecticut that was built as-- well-- a branch? Everything else I can think of is a stub-ending of something else.
Branford Steam. And I guess the shoreline industrial tracks in Stamford, New Haven, and Groton by their very nature. But no stubs left in the whole of the interior of the state that weren't once contiguous at both ends.
 #1006308  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Ron, Yes crossings on the Suffield and Bradley spurs that are stop and protect were flagged and 5 minutes fusee's were left. Those would have been Mather Rd, on both the Suffield and Bradley, Suffield St on the Bradley, Rt. 75 on the Suffield (on the section in question). All other crossings were protected by crossbuck and stop sign, or by traffic lights or crossing flashers. It was a neat set up at the end with a loading dock, and two tracks, the run around portion wasn't active, but most of the switch was in place as well as a little head room all under brush.
 #1006491  by photons

Pardon my intrusion into this very interesting discussion
Where is the Bradley Spur?
Thanks,
Russ
 #1006507  by Cosmo

If you scroll back up to the "Bird's eye view" link above, follow the line back South from Suffield. The Bradley spur takes off from the Suffield Branch about 2 miles before the end of the line in Suffield.
 #1006513  by F-line to Dudley via Park

photons wrote:Pardon my intrusion into this very interesting discussion
Where is the Bradley Spur?
Thanks,
Russ
http://g.co/maps/4bwqn

That's the Bradley Branch hanging a hard left at the Mather St. junction while the Suffield Branch continues straight, with a siding immediately past Suffield St. at Massa Paper. Slightly longer total distance than the Suffield Branch. Crosses Route 75 then runs right outside the airport runway fence to a bumper at the long-term parking lots. Used to go a few hundred feet further and curve around all the way to where the rent-a-car lots currently are near the main terminal building.
 #1006601  by RonM

Some interesting things about Bradley Spur in Windsor Locks (if I have this correctly)
1. At one time it ran all the way to Hamilton Standard (who once made propellers there) / crossed Schoenposter Rd, which had crossbucks. (Imagine crossing Schoenposter Rd now like that LOL!) In the 1970's it was cut back to where Hertz RAC is now and later, to the present end of track near the Dunkin Donuts. Occasionally there is a tankcar with aircraft deice fluid there. No evidence of the trackage in the (now) Hamilton Sundstrand area. Anyone who worked for NH or PC ever operate there? A long time ago, there was a NH script logo boxcar there.

2. It is interesting because it "almost" comes back onto itself within a mile

3. It was built rather late.

4. Anyone know why there were 2 MRRX debris cars there within the past month? (I have not been there lately)

5. Crossing protection is traffic lights, not traditional alternating red lights / black targets.

I would love to see some photos of RS-3s up there! But I recall Conrail GP-15s and B23-7s and CSOR B23-7s, the B39's (which seem to be too much for that light rail), the black switcher MP15?, and the NEC geeps and a special treat, a CNZR 25 Tonner!

Bradley Spur is the trackage that services the Bradley International Airport area crossing and "following" CT Route 75.
 #1012647  by jabsteam

Cosmo wrote:
Larry wrote: Wish they do the whole line like this and go all the way to Willimantic.
Well, I'd love to see that too, but Manchester to Willi needs more than just ties. :wink:
Forgive my ramblings, but I fondly remember (in my misspent youth), hopping a boxcar on the RS-3 powered NH freight in Manchester and riding up thru Bolton Notch with the Alco barking loudly, and riding into Willimantic, there to watch the interchange action with CV.

I also remember when the NH was cleaning out the line just before closing it, and ran a 3 unit Fairbanks Morse lash up with a 56 car train Willi to Hartford. Standing by the old station platform near the Main St. Xing you could hear that distinctive FM drumming exhaust coming in WAY out past the Co-Op mill, and then surprise! the lead unit blew for the Xings with a
Nathan Air Chime whistle!

Ahh, to be able to see and hear that railroad action again!