• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by bshrdr

Back to the new Hartford offices/shops. I was fortunate to have been invited to attend the ribbon cutting/grand opening on April 5, 2012. Here's the recap of the shindig, along with a bunch of photos of the event.

http://bit.ly/IeJBeS

Thanks for looking!
Tom
  by Ale Rider1

Those are really outstanding photos Tom. I am thrilled that Rail America is so bullish about rail freight in Connecticut. It seems like that shop has the capacity to handle a larger fleet of locomotives than they have on hand hopefully they can quickly grow into it.

AR1
  by bshrdr

Ale Rider1 wrote:Those are really outstanding photos Tom. I am thrilled that Rail America is so bullish about rail freight in Connecticut. It seems like that shop has the capacity to handle a larger fleet of locomotives than they have on hand hopefully they can quickly grow into it.

AR1
Thank you!

According to the GM, the aim is to not only to be able to repair the power there in a more humane environment than what was in East Hartford, but to also begin doing car repairs there as well - providing another revenue stream for the railroad. Just another service for them to offer...
  by bwparker1

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news23702.html

"Bouyed by a resurgence in the shipping market, Connecticut Southern Railroad spent $1.4 million acquiring and building a new facility to give its workers cover, raise revenue and create a permanent Hartford location. The operator of 79 railroad miles through central Connecticut operated out of a rented East Hartford outdoor facility for 16 years, but in January the company moved into its new location on Windsor Street in the capital city. It hopes for a payback on its investment in as little as four years...."
  by Ale Rider1

Thanks for posting / linking to that. Pretty well done article by regular media standards.

AR1
  by trainguy2024

Looking to model The CSOR in HO Scale. How many customers do they service and how would I get a list?
  by bwparker1

trainguy2024 wrote:Looking to model The CSOR in HO Scale. How many customers do they service and how would I get a list?
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CTshortlines/

If you join this group, there is an older Excel list of current/former customers. Not the most up to date, but better than nothing, and it gives you a good idea of the business in the mid to late 2000's.

BWP
  by Ale Rider1

Was in Hartford for business the last two days, and passed the Windsor Street yard three times. All the motive power I saw was EMD - 3 NECR units (2 in NECR paint and another in patched up gray paint) and 2 of the ex UP SD40-2's . No GE's around. Windsor ST looked busy - I think on Tuesday afternoon they had three crews working.

Sorry no numbers.

AR1
  by csor2010

The SD40-2s are 3398 and 3715; the geeps would be NECR 3843 (grey), NECR 3844, and NECR 3849.

FWIW the GEs are still active, they just don't show up on the daytime road jobs as much since the SD40s arrived.
  by amtrak-wnd

I drove by the Hartford yard the other day and noticed that the last 2 B39-8's are sitting behind the shops. The 8554 sat there for a while before it was sent up to NECR. I haven't seen any of the B39's out on the road in a few weeks now.

Also, the RailAmerica GP38 is back down on CSOR and NECR #3849 has gone back to New England Central.
  by atsf sp

Are they trying to consolidate to a EMD road especially with the possible G&W buyout pending government approval?
  by bwparker1

At 9:25 AM today, 9/26/2012, a CSO Engine was switching out the Murphy Road C&D Facility. Actually the engine was a NECR, but it was a CSO job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by boatsmate

I assume this is the Hartford location??