Railroad Forums 

• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1307551  by RagsCo4

amtrak-wnd wrote:That track was listed out of service in the Amtrak book so I guess they don't need it anymore.

On another note CSO-5 tonight (Hartford-Springfield) had a 3 unit spine car in the middle with FEC marks.

How long has that been listed out of service? It has been in service, or at least being used for 30 plus years up until a couple weeks ago.
 #1307731  by amtrak-wnd

RagsCo4 wrote:
amtrak-wnd wrote:That track was listed out of service in the Amtrak book so I guess they don't need it anymore.

On another note CSO-5 tonight (Hartford-Springfield) had a 3 unit spine car in the middle with FEC marks.

How long has that been listed out of service? It has been in service, or at least being used for 30 plus years up until a couple weeks ago.
I'm not sure, this was at least a year ago and it could have been temporary. I think it can still be used under special conditions even if it's out of service.
 #1309291  by Larry

Drove by the Hartford CT Rail yard and saw ties being put in yesterday (12/23/14) as North bound Vermonter passed by . It was raining but the work went on, not sure as to how many ties were added but still nice to see work getting done, and so close to Christmas. Early Christmas presents to CSO.
 #1309544  by Larry

Drove by again to see North bound Vermonter and saw A.J. and his crew out working in the Hartford yard again today. They had nice weather today at least to do the work at hand. Hats off to the crew as I know they are doing a great job with the yard. Vermonter was on time and heading north by the way. It could use a good cleaning before they change the route up north at Springfield come Monday.
 #1310177  by Larry

Today AJ Belliveau and crew were finishing up in CSO's Hartford CT yard. They put in about 800 or so ties plus about 60 switch ties. This should help improve the south end of the yard greatly. This was hard work and it looks great from what I could see. Hats off to this crew for working during the rain as well as the cold to get the job done. They now are going to move to Armory Branch through South Windsor from mp 3 to end of the line and install close to 400 or so ties on that line. Also going to work on a couple of switches in East Hartford yard. Manchester track at this point has nothing in the books to update but lets hope in near future some work will get done. Happy New Year to all.
 #1311019  by bwparker1

Larry wrote:Today AJ Belliveau and crew were finishing up in CSO's Hartford CT yard. They put in about 800 or so ties plus about 60 switch ties. This should help improve the south end of the yard greatly. This was hard work and it looks great from what I could see. Hats off to this crew for working during the rain as well as the cold to get the job done. They now are going to move to Armory Branch through South Windsor from mp 3 to end of the line and install close to 400 or so ties on that line. Also going to work on a couple of switches in East Hartford yard. Manchester track at this point has nothing in the books to update but lets hope in near future some work will get done. Happy New Year to all.
Thanks for the reports.
 #1311784  by FLRailFan1

What is going on with the Armory Branch. From Sullivan Ave (East Windsor Hill) north is only the Crop Production plant. I know CSO has a few customers in East Hartford and South Windsor.
 #1312027  by Larry

Drove along Rte 5 in South Windsor along CSO's Armory Branch and saw a few bundles of new ties along right of way. Also saw AJ's equipment scattered along the line parked in sidings to do the work when they can. Amazing to me is they are working the line in mid winter when most railroads are done till spring. Hats off to these guys.
 #1312421  by FLRailFan1

Larry wrote:Drove along Rte 5 in South Windsor along CSO's Armory Branch and saw a few bundles of new ties along right of way. Also saw AJ's equipment scattered along the line parked in sidings to do the work when they can. Amazing to me is they are working the line in mid winter when most railroads are done till spring. Hats off to these guys.
I wonder what is going on. Repairs on a branch line in the winter? Something must be going on.
 #1331695  by Lincoln78

Last Friday May 8 I was in the Buckland area around 6 PM and heard a train horn nearby. I finished my errand and went to downtown Manchester where I was rewarded with the sight of probably the biggest train I will ever see there. Looked like they had just finished switching out Central CT Coop (2-3 hoppers) and were moving an engine to the east end of the train. Rest of the train was several boxcars and another engine. Regret I forgot the exact count. Both engines were NECR blue and gold.
 #1340291  by Larry

I was in Manchester today and saw Three Boxcars for the Brick customer. Then went by Co -Op and they had two hoppers in their bay. It was nice to see that many cars at the end of the line. If Sanford and sons Lumber would just now take a car or two and if ever Manchester Sand and Gravel got any of their items by rail we could have a full train. Sure would be nice to see again.
 #1340497  by Larry

In my above statement I should have said Sanford and Hawley and not sons, I guess I watched to many tv shows back in the 70's. As for the tags, I saw some in East Hartford yard as well but no crews or machinery around, no ties, no ballast, etc. Not sure what they mean at this point. EH yard is completely empty of their Salt cars as well as all the scrap metal/junk gondolas. Actually scary looking with no cars stored there at this time. I did see in North Hartford that the salt pile was again being built up for the winter.