• Connecticut Southern (CSOR) Discussion

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by bwparker1

Some photos of the Trackmobile at Murphy Road Recycling in Hartford, CT
Photo May 12, 9 55 36 AM.jpg
Photo May 12, 9 54 06 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RagsCo4

Saw a rare daytime train this am running through Meriden around 720am not sure why. Then heard heading back north about 11am.
  by bwparker1

RagsCo4 wrote:Saw a rare daytime train this am running through Meriden around 720am not sure why. Then heard heading back north about 11am.
Probably due to this.... ( CT Shortlines Yahoo Group)

"I have heard through Amtrak sources that CSO-1 is back to being a mid-morning operation from the B&A yard in West Springfield (CSX) to Cedar Hill Yard near New Haven CT as we have seen over the past few days. I was told a few years back that when the economy soured and carloadings dipped the decision was made to consolidate the Cedar Hill service with the Hartford train between West Springfield and Hartford. Well I guess happy days are hear again, carloadings are up and it's economical to run separate trains once again.
The southbound generally runs between Amtrak trains 141 and 495, and the train returns north during the late morning or early afternoon."
  by YamaOfParadise

That's actually really, really convenient timing. Tomorrow I was planning on going up to the northern portion of the Farmington Canal Trail to bike, and on the way there or back going by Plainville to see if there's any Pan Am there, and/or stopping by the New Britain Junction area to maybe catch some Amtrak trains. Is CSO-1 running Saturdays? I'm definitely not going to be able to catch it southbound, but are there vantage points into the area of Cedar Hill where it'll be?
  by amtrak-wnd

So far this week I've noticed CSO-1 heads south through Windsor right behind 141 (~6:30 AM) and they come back north after noon. I think the only Saturday train is still CSO-5 which goes from Hartford to Springfield and back. They went north around 3:45 pm and came back after 8.
  by RagsCo4

Last few nights I have heard what I think is the night train running. There is that much freight moving that they need day and night moves? If so thats good news!
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

RagsCo4 wrote:Last few nights I have heard what I think is the night train running. There is that much freight moving that they need day and night moves? If so thats good news!
Or they're running nights to get around daytime track/signal construction by Amtrak.
  by amtrak-wnd

You might be hearing CSO-2, the local that works south from Hartford at night. They're leaving Hartford now to give an idea of what time it runs.
  by RagsCo4

Thanks for the info.

I just saw the Ringling Bros train heading North through Meriden about 12:20pm. Had 4 power units, 3 CSORs and one from CSX.
  by Lincoln78

Saw a lone boxcar at the lumber yard in Manchester (west of Main St.) yesterday.
  by bwparker1

Lincoln78 wrote:Saw a lone boxcar at the lumber yard in Manchester (west of Main St.) yesterday.
It was probably bricks. I haven't seen any lumber in the yard in a long time. Maybe it should be called the "brick yard."
  by amtrak-wnd

CSOR 3771 was on Thursday's CSO-1. As far as I know this engine has never been on CSO before and I'm not sure if it has cab signals or not. The paint is very similar to 3398 and 3399.
  by RagsCo4

Not sure if this is in the right spot, so I apologize ahead of time if not. The line they use is owned by Amtrak and there used to be a siding in Meriden right under the 691 bridge that used to get odd ball shipments etc..and Amtrak themselves used it a lot with the upgrade going on. About a week and half ago amtrak took the siding out completely, not sure why or if anyone knows why just curious. It seemed like a good thing since there was easy access to the highways etc for any company needing something big moved. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by amtrak-wnd

That track was listed out of service in the Amtrak book so I guess they don't need it anymore.

On another note CSO-5 tonight (Hartford-Springfield) had a 3 unit spine car in the middle with FEC marks.
  by FLRailFan1

Lincoln78 wrote:Saw a lone boxcar at the lumber yard in Manchester (west of Main St.) yesterday.
Is that the Sanford and Haley Lumber Company?