Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1636276  by CharlieL

IIRC, the grant mentioned only brush clearing between Lakewood - Lakehurst, with the objective being reconnect with the Southern to Clayton's line. I suspect more than that will be required to get that stretch in operable condition.

It's possible another grant request is in the works to improve that stretch. We should be able to find that out in the March - April time frame when grants are announced. I suspect even if that happens it won't be made fully operable unless and until there are customers on that stretch asking for service.
 #1636278  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:13 am IIRC, the grant mentioned only brush clearing between Lakewood - Lakehurst, with the objective being reconnect with the Southern to Clayton's line. I suspect more than that will be required to get that stretch in operable condition.
Some parts of it are fine, look to be in better shape than some parts of the Southern, and other parts are completely overgrown, and will likely need a full rebuild.
CharlieL wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:13 am It's possible another grant request is in the works to improve that stretch. We should be able to find that out in the March - April time frame when grants are announced. I suspect even if that happens it won't be made fully operable unless and until there are customers on that stretch asking for service.
We will have to see. One of the properties that has a siding on that stretch, has been sold, and is to be developed into two separate warehouses. Whether or not they will get service, who knows.

Clayton's tracks have been in operable condition for many years now, done with grant money from the state, but there hasn't been a train on those tracks in nearly 30 years.
 #1636807  by Bracdude181

92 or 93 was the last train. Do any of the engines say Pine Belt on them? I still haven't figured out who they are/were and what role they played on that line! Unless they were formed by Ashland to run that line similar to how CMSL formed NJSL for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

#1636989  by monmouthrunningtrack

Back around 90 they had the 2 ex-Conrail GP9’s- (74)32 and (74)33-. I caught them once laying over in Lakehurst. I believe they were owned by Ashland at that point and know at least one of them was still working for them in Ohio within the last 5 or so years . There might have been a 3rd loco but never saw it
 #1636993  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:02 pm On the Freehold Secondary Railfans page, videos are being posted about the stretch of OOS track that would connect DRR's track in Lakewood, and NJSL's track in Lakehurst.

The grant for DRRR taking over the FIT and SOUS mentions work for this section of OOS track.
Grant's for brush clearing for utility access. Not restoring rail service. There's no business beyond Lakewood. Those drone videos on facebook's show no sign of any rail restoration work on the southern but they do show the Clayton line's torn out at the sand quarry past Lakehurst. Doesn't look like their putting in a siding the way that rails ripped up. If they are, it's a real sloppy job.