• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#267502  by kemay59

Steam locomotives stoke interest of Iowa train buffs

By WILLIAM PETROSKI
DES MOINES REGISTER STAFF WRITER

July 10, 2006

Two steam locomotives will be tested in eastern Iowa by the Iowa Interstate Railroad, a prospect that is already generating strong interest among railroad buffs.

"We are getting a tremendous number of calls on these things," said Dennis Miller, Iowa Interstate's president and chief operating officer. "A lot of private individuals want to take pictures. But we don't want to let a lot of people down there and get them hurt in the yard."

The Chinese-made locomotives have been acquired by Railroad Development Corp. of Pittsburgh, the parent of Iowa Interstate. They were transported on a ship from China to the United States, arriving in Houston in June, and were then placed atop special flatcars and brought to a rail yard in Rock Island, Ill. They will be brought to Iowa City, probably in early August, for final work needed before they can be fired up for train use, Miller said.

"We have a little shop there in Iowa City, and we will test them out, get the water on, and load some coal and probably start them up," he said.

The Iowa Interstate, based in Cedar Rapids, has no plans to use the locomotives for regular freight service, but the engines will pull at least one freight train to obtain certification from the Federal Railroad Administration, Miller said. That trip will likely be run between Iowa City and the Quad Cities, he said.

The steam engines may also be used in September for passenger train trips planned in conjunction with Riverway 2006, a celebration of the 150th anniversary of the completion of the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi River, said Sally Heffernan, a special projects manager for the city of Rock Island. The bridge linked Rock Island and Davenport.

The excursion train trips will be operated by a Minnesota-based nonprofit group known as "The Friends of the 261," which has an old Milwaukee Road steam engine available. But the Chinese-made steam locomotives may be used instead to pull the trains, Heffernan said. Passenger trips are planned around the Quad Cities area, and from Rock Island to Homestead and Muscatine, and to Bureau Junction, Ill.

Eliot Keller of Iowa City, a member of the Iowa Association of Railroad Passengers, said he plans to buy tickets for the train rides.

"People are fascinated with the machines. When you actually stand near a steam locomotive, you realize it's not an electric motor. They belch steam and smoke, and they have a unique personality," Keller said.

These won't be the first Chinese steam engines to operate in Iowa. In 1989, the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad acquired the last commercially built steam engine from China, and it remains as one of the tourist railroad's top attractions.
 #272121  by kemay59

If you missed the sights and heart pounding sounds of double headed 2-
10-2 steam locomotives storming up Inner Mongolia's legendary
Jingpeng Pass, another opportunity awaits… only this time, right here
in the U.S.A. The Friends of the 261, the Quad Cities Convention &
Visitors Bureau and City of Rock Island, Illinois, in cooperation
with the Iowa Interstate and the Iowa, Chicago, and Eastern Railroads
will operate a series of passenger train excursions out of Rock Island
on September 14th through September 17th, 2006.

The excursions will be powered by two Chinese built QJ locomotives #
6988 and # 7081. Rail Development Corporation of Pittsburgh, PA,
recently purchased these locomotives for operation and resale in the
U.S. The locomotives were built in China in 1985 and 1986
respectively. Locomotive # 7081 finished its career by having the
honor of pulling the world's last regularly scheduled steam powered
passenger train. This event occurred on December 7, 2005, on the run
between Daban and Chabuga, China. Locomotive # 6988 finished its
career powering the last steam revenue freight train over the same
route on December 8, 2005. The excursions will be the culmination of
a fantastic journey for the two locomotives which began in the
Chinese port of Dalian on April 21, 2006. The two were transported by
ship across the Pacific, through the Panama Canal and on to the Port
of Houston, Texas, where they were offloaded and transferred to flat
cars for the balance of their journey to Iowa.

The upcoming excursions will mark the debut of these locomotives in
their new environment and may well be the only time that they will be
used in tandem on a passenger special. The excursion train will
include "Hiawatha" style Premium and First Class service which will
include the full length glass top dome car "Super Dome" and the all
glass round-end Sky Top observation car "Cedar Rapids". The
excursions will also include both open window and air conditioned
coaches, along with an open door baggage car to maximize this once in
a lifetime experience. Plans include photo run-bys and alternating
the lead locomotive for the dyed in the wool railfans!

The excursion trips will be an integral part of the "RiverWay 2006" festival
which is a celebration of the country's first railroad bridge to
cross the Mississippi River in 1856. "RiverWay 2006" marks the
150th Anniversary of the first crossing.

Tickets: Tickets can be purchased on-line at www.261.com or
www.visitquadcities.com or by filling out the enclosed ticket order
form and sending it to "The Friends of the 261". Phone orders are
available from 10:00 a.m. till 4:00 p.m. at 651-765-9812.

Send to: The Friends of the 261
4322 Lakepoint Court
Shoreview, MN 55126

Schedule and ticket order form

Thursday Sept. 14th: Dinner train and dedication ceremony.
- Dedication ceremony begins at 6:00 p.m.
- Train Departs Rock Island at 6:30 p.m.
- Dinner on the Government Bridge
- Arrive back in Rock Island at approx. 9:30 p.m.
First Class Tickets @ $129.00 per person. Qty.________=
$_________________
Premium Class @ $179.00 per person. Qty.__________=
$_________________

Friday September 15th; Rock Island to Iowa City & Homestead Jct. and
return.
- Departs Rock Island 9:00 a.m.
- Iowa City lunch stop and turning the train at Homestead Jct.
- Return to Rock Island 4:00 p.m.
Coach Class tickets @ $ 79.00 per person. Qty.__________ =
$__________________
First Class Tickets @ $169.00 per person. Qty.__________ =
$__________________
Premium Class Tickets @ $259.00 per person. Qty._______=
$__________________

Saturday September 16th: Rock Island to Bureau Jct. and return.
- Departs Rock Island 9:00 a.m.
- AR Bureau Jct. at 12:00 noon
- Return to Rock Island 5:00 p.m.
Coach Class Tickets @ $99.00 per person. Qty.__________=
$__________________
First Class Tickets @ 199.00 per person.
Qty.____________=$__________________
Premium Class Tickets @ $299.00 per person.
Qty._______=$__________________

Sunday September 17th: Boat & Train excursion, Rock Island to
Muscatine.
Boat one-way train one-way, ticket for this excursion may be obtained
by contacting the Quad Cities Convention & Visitor Bureau
www.visitquadcities.com or 800-747-7800.

Sunday September 17th: Muscatine to Fruitland and return.
Coach class tickets @ $29.00 per person.
Qty.__________=$____________________
First class tickets @ $49.00 per person.
Qty.___________=$____________________
Premium class tickets @ $89.00 per person.
Qty________=$____________________

OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPHER PASS: Show your support, your official pass
will get you up-close to the action. Good for all 4 days. $50.00 per person.
Qty.___________= $______________.
 #293276  by Cosmo

That's amazing! I can almost feel the ground shaking from that monser's passing!
I understand that there are locomotives that large or larger preserved here in the US, but how many actually operate, or have the potential of operating on a regular basis?
LONG LIVE BIG STEAM!
Cosmo

#295939  by EJ&ESDM809

The excursions using Iowa Interstate's QJs in Rock Island was a big success. 261 was also in Rock Island for Riverway. on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, the QJs pulled the cars. On Saturday, Iowa Interstate and the Friends of the 261 made the decision to run a triple header witth the QJs and 261! There are a lot of photo os Railpictures. Here are three photos I took of the QJs, plus a in-cab shot of 261.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=158656
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=158384
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=158389
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=158385

#296065  by spRocket

I rode the 9-15-06 (Friday) trip to Homestead, getting off the train at Iowa City to shoot some footage. The service in first class was excellent, and I am highly impressed by the 261 organization. The weather was perfect, with crystal-clear skies.

We had one runby at Atalissa, IA, with the train making two passes before resuming the return trip. I should have taken my video camera with me for the runby, and not just the DSLR.

On Saturday, I set up in Sheffield, and waited... and waited... and waited for the eastbound run. I ran out of patience, got in the car, and headed west - but before I got to Mineral, I took a side road and got a look down the line - to see the train in the distance. I hightailed it back to Sheffield in time, plopped the camcorder onto a post (note to self: don't leave the tripod at home!), and got some good footage and photos of the triple-header thundering east.

I didn't really feel like joining the chaos chasing the train any further, though... but I still had a great time this weekend!

One odd thing I noticed with the QJ - the headlight seems to be a metal halide or other HID lamp, not incandescent.

#296339  by EJ&ESDM809

I also noticed the strange headlights on the QJs. They had a unique horn and bell. I really like those engines and I think they look great. Iowa Interstate has a option for 5 more QJs. Hopefully they take the option. I wonder what is next for 6988 and 7081. Nice shot of the triple header.

#301196  by spRocket

I don't know about other Chinese Mikados, but the Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad in Iowa has one built by Datong in 1989 and purchased new, while the NYS&W has a 1989 Tang Shan that was bought from its original purchaser (the Valley Railroad) in 1991. Both of these Mikados were built for export.

China uses standard gauge on their main lines; I don't know if there are any narrow-gauge lines.

#334719  by msernak

I saw them running in September and I was very impressed. The bells sounded king of strange but I was told that those were added in the US and were not used in China. I was surprised to see the 261 as well as I had not seen her since she ran out of Scranton PA. The triple header was a once in a lifetime experience and pacing the three of them on the country roads was awesome.

#334758  by spRocket

msernak wrote:The triple header was a once in a lifetime experience and pacing the three of them on the country roads was awesome.
Indeed. Unfortunately, I didn't feel like joining the chaos on the roads, so I only got the triple-header shots (and footage) in Sheffield. Fortunately, I found a handy wooden post to place the camcorder, so I didn't have to juggle two cameras at once as I had to in Rock Island and Iowa City with the double-headers. Note to self: BRING THE FRICKIN' TRIPOD!

I have also updated the picture in my previous message with one that was postprocessed from the Canon .CRW (raw-format) image; the previous image was extracted from the JPEG "thumbnail" that was contained in the .CRW file. [1] I've also put up a gallery of photos I took from the trip. No, I'm not providing full-resolution images.

I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the footage. I could put it on GooTube, but 720x480 MPEG-2 DVD format is really the only thing that can do justice to it - and then the bandwidth problem rears its ugly head. 720x480 MPEG-4 is OK, but not as good. [2]

I must give a HUGE tip of the hat to Friends of the 261, and to RDC (Iowa Interstate) for putting the show on... mainline steam is rare enough, and a triple-header within driving distance (on the Rock Island, no less! [3]) is just unbelievable!

[1] When I shoot in RAW format, I generally underexpose by about 1/3-to-2/3 stop, and then postprocess the image. Here is an extensive technical treatise on maximizing the quality of RAW images.
[2] I do all of my photo postprocessing, video editing, and video encoding in Linux. Yes, I'm an übergeek.
[3] I live a stone's throw from the RI, in Metra territory - yes, I can actually remember seeing a Rock Island AB6 pulling commuter trains! Too bad I was just a kid then...

#336142  by Engineer James

2-10-2's on a shortline?? Ok, let me ask this. What would be the purpose?? Excursions or Full Running on trains?

#338284  by U-Haul

Excersions would be an idea, but here is a better one. Having TWO huffing, hissing, smoking, and who knows what else locomotives is sure to get the attention of anyone near the raillines. Great chance for lots of publicity and public relations.

SALUDOS DE LAS ESTACIONES

#349986  by alchemist

The current issue of RMC has an article about the QJs and modeling them.

Qs

#471031  by Randy Earle

These ran again in June of 2007 on Iowa Interstate. I'm really shocked that there are no news or pictures of this event here on this board. I must have been living under a rock on this one, I didn't know! Wowser!