• Another derailment... Jamaica 11/23

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jayrmli

I hope the involved unions get the word to the media somehow for the reasons why nobody would answer the call to work overtime. The blame for this disaster should be placed on LIRR management where it rightfully belongs. You cant slander your employees one day and expect them to bail you out the next.
That would be the wrong course of action. The workers took a stand, and most likely made their point to those that it mattered to. Going to the media makes you no better than they were in the first place.

Jay
  by tun

Looks like 7267 was the car that got pwned. Any word on if 7268 has any extensive damage where the two are linked? And what about the pair connected to 7267? I imagine the couplers between the two must be f'ed up.
  by diffusedmind

I should have bought my camera along with me to school today and snapped a few photos; I think I have a perpetual fear of being yelled at by someone. :(

Anything like this ever happen to you, Retired? I wonder when the crew figured out they were on the ground.
  by Otto Vondrak

Interesting Newsday pictures. More severe than I originally imagined. You could really hear the stress in Tom Kaminsky's voice this morning describing systemwide delays on the LIRR. Still, a derailment like that could be cleaned up in a matter of hours, not days. I wonder if any of our gifted media will pick up on that?
  by Otto Vondrak

diffusedmind wrote:I wonder when the crew figured out they were on the ground.
Hrm. Could have been the loud noises, sparks, or abrupt stop. Let's keep the discussion to Sunday's derailment and not turn this into an expedition for recollections.
  by jayrmli

Still, a derailment like that could be cleaned up in a matter of hours, not days. I wonder if any of our gifted media will pick up on that?
The derailment itself might be cleaned up, but it looks like the mess it caused could take some time (track, signals, cabling, etc.) to become useable again.

As for the "gifted media," it depends on how much they're "in the tank" with the railroad this month.

Jay
  by Amtrak7

Here is the PM:
Monday, November 24, 2008 4:10 PM

LIRR CUSTOMERS ARE ADVISED TO EXPECT CANCELED TRAINS, DELAYS AND CHANGES IN CONNECTIONS FOR MONDAY'S PM RUSH, NOVEMBER 24

MTA Long Island Rail Road customers are advised to anticipate major adjustments to the evening rush hour schedule including 19 canceled trains, delays and no across-the-platform connections at Jamaica for Monday's evening rush hour as a result of a derailment that occurred in Jamaica on Sunday.
Please note, if Penn Station becomes overcrowded, the MTA Police may temporarily restrict entrance to the terminal.

LIRR crews have been working round-the-clock to re-rail the three train cars on the west end of Jamaica Station. The work also includes repair to the damaged switches and track caused by the derailment. Currently three tracks are out of service due to the accident.

Monday PM Service Changes
The Monday PM Rush service plan includes the cancellation of 19 of the 132 eastbound PM rush trains operated --11 of the canceled trains are Penn Station departures, 6 trains are from Brooklyn, and 2 trains are from Hunterspoint Avenue. Customers should anticipate delays and there will be no across-the-platform connections at Jamaica. Customers are advised, if possible, to take trains that will bring them to their destination without the need for a change at Jamaica. Those customers requiring a change of trains at Jamaica will be advised to descend to street-level to be directed to the appropriate platform for their connection. LIRR station personnel will be available at Penn Station, Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn and Jamaica to assist customers with service information. Under the modified service plan, there will be time adjustments to the eastbound local service to Woodside, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. The LIRR appreciates the patience and understanding of our customers.

Please note: If Penn Station becomes overcrowded, the MTA Police may temporarily restrict entrance to the terminal.

Eastbound PM Peak Service train cancellations:

The following evening rush hour trains from Penn Station will be canceled.

The 3:34 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 3:46 PM due in Babylon at 4:52 PM.

The 4:12 PM to Massapequa Park will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:21 PM train to Freeport, which will be extended to Massapequa Park.

The 4:22 PM to Port Washington will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:25 PM to Great Neck, which is extended to Port Washington.

The 4:34 PM to Babylon will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:37 PM to Wantagh, which will be extended to Babylon

The 4:43 PM to Port Washington will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:46 PM to Great Neck, which will be extended to Port Washington.

The 4:57 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:03 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Wantagh.

The 5:20 PM to Long Beach will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:23 PM to Long Beach, which will stop at Jamaica.

The 5:19 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:24 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Wantagh.

The 5:40 PM to Seaford will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:47 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Seaford.

The 6:05 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:10 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Wantagh.

The 6:33 PM to Babylon will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:36 PM to Wantagh, which will be extended to Babylon.

The following evening rush hour trains from Brooklyn's Flatbush Avenue Terminal will be canceled:

The 4:39 PM from Flatbush Avenue due in Babylon 5:52 PM will be canceled.

The 4:31 PM from Flatbush Avenue due in Far Rockaway 5:26 PM will be canceled.

The 5:19 PM from Flatbush Avenue due in Hempstead at 6:09 PM will be canceled.

The 5:40 PM from Flatbush Avenue due in Long Beach at 6:32 PM will be canceled.

The 5:29 PM from Flatbush Avenue due in Huntington at 6:28 has been canceled.

The 6:04 PM from Flatbush Avenue due Ronkonkoma at 7:27 PM has been canceled from Brooklyn and will instead originate at Jamaica.

The following evening rush hour trains from Hunterspoint Avenue Terminal will be canceled:

The 5:29 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue due in Ronkonkoma at 6:45 PM is canceled from Hunterspoint Avenue and will instead originate from Jamaica.

The 6:30 PM from Hunterspoint Avenue due in Port Jefferson at 8:15 PM is canceled from Hunterspoint Avenue and will instead originate from Mineola.

Service Updates:
The LIRR will continue to update this Service Advisory as track repairs are made. Customers should monitor news media reports and the LIRR's website (at www.mta.info/lirr) for updates to this PM modified service plan. The LIRR anticipates that there will some impact to Tuesday morning's AM Rush and will advise customers of that service plan later today. The LIRR would like to thank our customers for their patience and understanding during this period.

For up-to-date travel service information, customers can also contact the LIRR�s 24-hour Travel Information Center in Suffolk County at 631-231-LIRR, in Nassau County at 516-822-LIRR or in New York City at 718-217-LIRR. The Travel Information Center's TDD telephone number for the hearing impaired is 718-558-3022.
http://mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=081123-LIRR131
Last edited by Amtrak7 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by drumz0rz

Wow, that's more than just 7267 picking the switch. It was dragged enough to create a large pile of ballast infront of the rear truck. Also looks like the back of 7268 may be off the rail, as well as the car behind 7267 (see picture #12)
  by Otto Vondrak

jayrmli wrote:The derailment itself might be cleaned up, but it looks like the mess it caused could take some time (track, signals, cabling, etc.) to become useable again.
I didn't see any damage to the tracks, but again, I assume repairs like that can be made in a matter of hours, too. Once you have the scene cleared, at least you can move trains through the work site, if need be.

-otto-
  by spacecadet

This is getting ridiculous. I understand the lack of overtime being worked, but it sounds as if most were thinking that if overtime *had* been worked, this could have been cleaned up by this morning.

Now it's the PM commute and it's *still* not cleaned up. A full day's regular work couldn't open things up enough to not cancel 19 trains and combine others? What is going on over there at this point?

At some point, the customers don't really care who's at fault. Both the workers and the management get their paychecks from the same railroad.
  by Frank

One of the trucks on the derailed M7s appear to have been heavily damaged. Is it possible that they are going to replace that truck?
Last edited by Frank on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

I hope so, as its tough to run a M7 on one truck only ;-)
  by formerLIRR'r

Please provide the link where she calls anyone a thief or thieves?
Until that is done this is nothing but LIES.

LongIslandTool wrote:Monday's rush-hour is going to be a HUGE problem.
Helena WIlliams' referred to them as thieves in the media who are hungry for overtime. They want to prove they really don't want the overtime.

Unless Governor Patterson cans her tonight, give yourselves LOTS of time getting to work tomorrow.