• Another derailment... Jamaica 11/23

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RetiredLIRRConductor

never mind
Last edited by RetiredLIRRConductor on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Publius Plunkett

In any society, past and present, there were always those at the top who dictated to those on the bottom. It's just the way life is. The right college, blood lines and connections are the keys for some. The rest pay the taxes, fight the wars and shovel the crap.

A smart man will learn how to work with the tools at hand and prosper from it. The "flaw" with the masses is that many can't do that or don't have the drive to do that. Then you get class jealousy and attacks on people who worked hard and made something for themselves. The railroad has a good group of employees but a vocal minority of people who without that job and the union agreements that make it a good job, wouldn't be able to boil water for minimum wage. They put pressure on their unions to get higher raises and benefits than the union is capable of delivering. This leads to disgruntled employees who live in an era when unions do not have the strength to deliver what they could to their fathers. The best you can do is try the best you can but live in a world of realities. If managers are not to your liking, find some place there to hide and stay out of the way. If you can't earn enough from your salary, do something outside in addition to your railroad job. If the bosses in N.Y. aren't interested in your opinion, then don't give it and you'll feel better. But when you are on your own and left to decide what to do, do the best you can because there is always someone in that Company who appreciates what you do. And they won't forget it. If you want to be a loud, self rightious blowhard, then that's all you'll be thought of. We can all scream "that's not right", "it shouldn't be that way", blah, blah, blah. You'll find yourself the only one willing to stand up because your peers will shrink into the shadows when their "move" or "pull" is threatened to be taken if they stand with you.

Please don't attack my statement, it's my personal opinion so really don't feel I have to defend what I wrote.
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

I agree on some points. There were some in the Company who appreciated what I did. They knew I did not screw around and did my job. There were others who tried to fire me for the same reason.
It does not matter anymore, I am retired and done with it.
I did ok.
As far as the union? I supported them, and voted yes on every contract they negotiated, except one in the Mills era.
The Current UTU General Chairman is a good guy, and got them a good contract.
In these financial times, it is an outstanding contract
No Complaints here.
  by hammerfang

Anyone know what happened to the cars involved with in the accident? Have they been repaired and put back into service? Where was/is the repair being done?
  by hammerfang

I just rode in on 7268 this morning and it was paired up again with 7267. Does anyone know when this happened? A few months ago i remember seeing 7268 paired with another car and 7267 paired with the other half of the set 7268 was paired with. Also, what had to be fixed on these cars? We're they sent up state or just to Hillside?