• Another derailment... Jamaica 11/23

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by acrispy1

BenH wrote:I spent a few minutes searching on Google News, for a such a quote from Helena Williams, and I couldn't find anything. Apparently someone just made this up.

formerLIRR'r wrote:Please provide the link where she calls anyone a thief or thieves?
Until that is done this is nothing but LIES.

LongIslandTool wrote:Monday's rush-hour is going to be a HUGE problem.
Helena WIlliams' referred to them as thieves in the media who are hungry for overtime. They want to prove they really don't want the overtime.

Unless Governor Patterson cans her tonight, give yourselves LOTS of time getting to work tomorrow.
She has never said that, she did say other things that she shouldn't have said but never called the employees thieves at least not in public.
And as far as work action thats all BS, I think the LIRR work force and the unions are smarter than that, how will it look to the riders and the media to take a work action in time of an emergency?
As far as MN being on the scene, the LIRR needed the extra crane and in turn LIRR needed to call out extra LIRR workers.
This wasn't a typical derailment it took out 3 tracks, 3rd rail and a number of cars so it will take some time.
Last edited by acrispy1 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Port Jervis

DutchRailnut wrote:The MNCR wreck crew has assisted before on LIRR, but to use them as primary crew, due to labor problems, would have triggered a systemwide strike on LIRR.
And that's the problem, that sort of mentality.
  by Lirr168

Two thoughts:

- saying that employees are fraudulently filing claims and cheating the system is the PC way of calling them thieves. We know it and the workers know it. The fact that they are simply making use of the contracts they signed is none of those things.

- there is nothing wrong with the mentality of striking if their contract is violated in such a blatant way; that is their right under the law. These workers are NOT required to come in for overtime work under any circumstances and with the way they have been demonized for taking overtime (and they have, check the papers), I applaud them for taking a stand like this even though it is inconveniencing me.
  by Port Jervis

Lirr168 wrote:Two thoughts:

- saying that employees are fraudulently filing claims and cheating the system is the PC way of calling them thieves. We know it and the workers know it. The fact that they are simply making use of the contracts they signed is none of those things.

- there is nothing wrong with the mentality of striking if their contract is violated in such a blatant way; that is their right under the law. These workers are NOT required to come in for overtime work under any circumstances and with the way they have been demonized for taking overtime (and they have, check the papers), I applaud them for taking a stand like this even though it is inconveniencing me.
This sort of mentality only makes it worse. I'm not gonna start a flame war over this, but LIRR employees are EMPLOYEES, not partners. Citing obscure contractual obligations in a situation like this is highly selfish and it pisses people off.
  by Lirr168

Port Jervis wrote:This sort of mentality only makes it worse. I'm not gonna start a flame war over this, but LIRR employees are EMPLOYEES, not partners. Citing obscure contractual obligations in a situation like this is highly selfish and it pisses people off.
I agree, not looking to pick a fight. What are these obscure obligations you mention? The right not to have their job done by someone else? Not for nothing, but these guys and gals have been doing their jobs for years, most of them very well, only to get $hit on by Newsday and get people pissed off at them anyway (wrongly, I might add). It can't really get worse at this point anyway.
  by RearOfSignal

Port Jervis wrote:This sort of mentality only makes it worse. I'm not gonna start a flame war over this, but LIRR employees are EMPLOYEES, not partners. Citing obscure contractual obligations in a situation like this is highly selfish and it pisses people off.
Since when is it selfish to want to get what you worked for and are due? Yeah, it pisses off the employees because the company denies claims that are covered under contract.
  by hammerfang

Back on topic...was #7267 removed yet? Where will the place all of the damaged cars? I didn't see anything as I went past Hillside today.
  by Amtrak7

The train has been moved, to where I don't know. More alerts! PM Tuesday
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:38 PM

MOST LIRR SERVICE RESTORED

Most MTA Long Island Rail Road service will be restored by this evening's rush hour, although customers are advised to anticipate schedule changes that include some delays and six canceled trains - fewer than yesterday's PM rush hour. Most across-the-platform transfers will be available. However, customers should anticipate track changes this evening as ongoing repair work is performed to fix damage caused by Sunday's derailment in Jamaica.

More than 200 LIRR employees have been working round-the-clock since Sunday to clear damaged cars from the track. Work has involved re-railing the three train cars that left the track west of Jamaica Station. The derailment caused damage to a 600-foot stretch of track, requiring replacement of more than 115 feet of running rail, 400 feet of third rail, 400 feet of third rail protection board, and repair to 6 switches and signal circuitry.

A 150-ton crane was used in the re-railing process. The re-railing in some instances involved an inch-by-inch precision move to ensure safety and avoid additional damage.

The last of the train cars, which was blocking three tracks, was re-railed around 11:15 PM Monday, but could not be safely moved until 3 AM Tuesday morning. Additional testing of the signal system is required before a full assessment of service can be made for Wednesday and Thanksgiving Day service. The LIRR will issue another update later today.

Tuesday PM Service Changes
The Tuesday PM Rush service plan includes the cancellation of 6 of the 132 eastbound PM rush trains operated. Customers should anticipate delays and there will be track changes at Jamaica. LIRR station personnel will be available at Penn Station, Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn, Jamaica and Woodside to assist customers with service information. The LIRR appreciates the patience and understanding of our customers.

Eastbound PM Peak Service train cancellations:

The following evening rush hour trains from Penn Station will be canceled.
· The 4:12 PM to Massapequa Park will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:21 PM train to Freeport, which will be extended to Massapequa Park.
· The 4:34 PM to Babylon will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:37 PM to Wantagh, which will be extended to Babylon
· The 4:57 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:03 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Wantagh.
· The 5:19 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:24 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Wantagh.
· The 5:40 PM to Seaford will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:47 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Seaford.
· The 6:05 PM to Wantagh will be canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:10 PM to Freeport, which will be extended to Wantagh.

Service Updates:
The LIRR will continue to update this Service Advisory as track repairs are made. Customers should monitor news media reports and the LIRR's website (at www.mta.info/lirr) for updates to this PM modified service plan. The LIRR would like to thank our customers for their patience and understanding during this period.

For up-to-date travel service information, customers can also contact the LIRR's 24-hour Travel Information Center in Suffolk County at 631-231-LIRR, in Nassau County at 516-822-LIRR or in New York City at 718-217-LIRR. The Travel Information Center's TDD telephone number for the hearing impaired is 718-558-3022.
  by LongIslandTool

MetroNorth did assist with the rerailing by providing personnel when the LI forces refused overtime.

Now the search is on for Trackmen who will work past 4 PM on overtime. They are concerned that accepting overtime work will inflate their pension -- a practice for which they have been maligned by the company's president. It's probably going to be a few more days at this rate before things return to normal.
  by hrfcarl

Being sinical here, but any chance the canceled trains during this service intruption might reflect a worse case senario if MTA does not additional funding for future budgets?
  by EdM

reading thru the posts, I realized that this is one dynamite source of information from both sides. Wonder if Newsday knows or reads it?
  by LongIslandTool

You are assuming that Newsday is interested in facts, Ed. That's not really the case. They get their "news" mostly from press releases.
  by EdM

i know it is off topic a bit, but I can't resist... Newsday, like their clone, Times ' are organs of a political point of view, i.e. "All the news that fits, we print"... sorry, er, well meybe not... GBG ....... years ago I cancelled Newsday, and got about three months of phone calls from their marketing, it was only later that they realized that they did not have to even print the paper, just say they did,... anyway I got rid of the guy by telling him that I did not need the paper anymore, Why? he asked, the puppy grew up said I. He got pissed and hung up on me.. GBG../break/. this medium sure do give both sides, really great... Ed
  by drumz0rz

LongIslandTool wrote:MetroNorth did assist with the rerailing by providing personnel when the LI forces refused overtime.

Now the search is on for Trackmen who will work past 4 PM on overtime. They are concerned that accepting overtime work will inflate their pension -- a practice for which they have been maligned by the company's president. It's probably going to be a few more days at this rate before things return to normal.
Did you read the announcement posted directly above your post?