Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1640589  by CSRR573

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:01 am
CSRR573 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:18 pm One of the Siemens techs that work with us said that chargers aren't getting equipped with ACSES so that eliminates them from MBTA territory as far as i know
The ALC-42's or the ALC-42E's?
All I was told was "The Chargers"
 #1641390  by markhb

Senator Baldacci is keeping it from its final doom; I imagine he's trying to work out a deal, but I doubt it'll be successful. MaineDOT and NNEPRA both testified against it, and the DOT's position was "We just studied it, it'll cost hundreds of millions to get the line to passenger specs, it's paralleled by an Interstate that is uncongested. We are much better off trying bus service." To add to that, none of the cities between Lewiston and Bangor have a regular city bus service that runs a multiple-runs-per-day schedule; most of them just have the RTP "rides for the elderly and handicapped" programs, so last-mile becomes an even greater issue.

I'll also mention that MaineDOT has, in fact, recently had an RFP for commuter bus service between Lewiston/Auburn and Portland; they haven't announced the winner yet, though.
 #1641502  by CPF66

To be fair, the only expansions I could see the DE pull off with some sort of decent ridership levels would either be an expansion to Lewiston/Auburn or an expansion to Westbrook like what has been discussed in recent years. With the expansion to L/A, by the time the ball ever gets rolling again CSX will have the track speeds up, which will lower the cost maybe to the point where the legislature might bite.

An expansion to Augusta or to points east is a money loosing concept. It would be one thing if there were a large number of commuters traveling between say Augusta and Bangor, or points further south like Portland. However, I think you will find most of the people commuting to work to the east of Brunswick primarily work in those towns. Everyone I know normally travels less than a 30 mile round trip, which would severely cut down the ridership.
 #1641810  by markhb

CPF66 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:17 am To be fair, the only expansions I could see the DE pull off with some sort of decent ridership levels would either be an expansion to Lewiston/Auburn or an expansion to Westbrook like what has been discussed in recent years. With the expansion to L/A, by the time the ball ever gets rolling again CSX will have the track speeds up, which will lower the cost maybe to the point where the legislature might bite.

An expansion to Augusta or to points east is a money loosing concept. It would be one thing if there were a large number of commuters traveling between say Augusta and Bangor, or points further south like Portland. However, I think you will find most of the people commuting to work to the east of Brunswick primarily work in those towns. Everyone I know normally travels less than a 30 mile round trip, which would severely cut down the ridership.
For the record, LD 860 is officially dead; the House insisted upon their acceptance of the ONTP report out of committee.
The trouble with running the DE to L/A (other than the dubious CPR) is that you now have two split routes, Lewiston and Brunswick, and extending north via Lewiston means that Augusta would be serviced via a station in downtown Winthrop (where is our friend Mr. O'Keefe these days?) Going north from Brunswick requires a substantial investment in restoring the Lower Road and means bypassing L/A, but it would run directly past the State House and possibly through "downtown" Augusta. I recall that, when M&E operated the Maine Eastern, they proposed running DMU's on the Lower Road from the Brunswick station to the foot of Capitol Park, but they lost the contract for the Rockland Branch just after the Brunswick extension came online.

Either way, running farther north than the Downeaster already goes means extending transit into a vast area sparsely populated by people who, for the most part, have chosen to live in an area where public transit is not part of life.
 #1642011  by CPF66

I suppose they could always run a L/A shuttle out of Brunswick by building a new connection at Yarmouth Jct and could run up the DOT owned part of the Berlin Sub to Danville Jct, where they could then run into L/A on CSX. The Lewiston Lower is also another possibility, and I think the DOT owns the ROW (at least part of it) that ran from Crowley's to Leeds Jct, so if they ever decided to expand east to Waterville, that is always an option.
 #1642075  by BM6569

"Portland Train Platform/Station Relocation Study
Date/Time:

Thursday, April 25, 2024

6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

This live virtual meeting will be conducted via Zoom. A link to the Zoom meeting will be available on this page on the day of the meeting.

The purpose and need of the project and the preliminary alternatives being considered will be presented. Following the brief presentation, the public will have an opportunity to provide input regarding the potential relocation of the Portland train platform. We are particularly interested in learning local and regional views and identifying concerns and issues."

https://www.nnepra.com/notice-of-virtua ... c-meeting/
 #1642130  by CPF66

There is a rumor going around that Amtrak is looking at adding a Well-Bath shuttle for BIW employees, since most live between Wells and Portland. With roughly 6,800 workers at Hardings and the shipyard, it makes sense.
 #1642145  by markhb

CPF66 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 am There is a rumor going around that Amtrak is looking at adding a Well-Bath shuttle for BIW employees, since most live between Wells and Portland. With roughly 6,800 workers at Hardings and the shipyard, it makes sense.
That's interesting. They've previously spoken about an early morning short turn BRK-WEM and back, which would serve as a NB commuter rail into Portland on the return; maybe they're planning some sort of extension or connection to Bath as part of that. I know that run is supposed to have to wait until after the Wells station project is complete.
 #1642727  by BM6569

There are 3 locations they are looking at for a new Portland station. They will be announced on Thursday during the meeting