Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1516930  by MEC407

Amtrak's geometry train (with two locomotives and two cars) is apparently on the Rockland Branch day, based on photos that NNEPRA posted on Instagram this morning.
 #1516986  by shadyjay

Yup, several photos including shots in Wiscasset and Bath. Line looks to be very scenic. I meant to ride it back when Maine Eastern operated excursion service over it. Hopefully I'll be able to ride Amtrak over it at some point in the not-to-distant future.

Could this be a first... a line that was operated by a tourist railroad and will (hopefully soon) get Amtrak service?
 #1516987  by Hux

Dick H wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:44 pm I believe the $5.00 fare is from Exeter.

https://amtrakdowneaster.com/deal/5-fares-train-685

#685 is often selling out through Haverhill 2 or three nights a week.
Sometimes on Friday nights, there have been only four seats available
at Exeter.
I mentioned to them the link disparity on the Downeaster Facebook page. They had posted Haverhill in both the headline and in a reply to another's post.
 #1516988  by swist

I rode the Maine Eastern Tourist train several times. And yes indeed, it's very scenic. The Rockland station is pretty close (walking distance) to downtown (even closer to the Lobster Festival), although it is on the West end. That means it's a bit of a hike if you are trying to connect to one of the Penobscot Bay Island ferries (Vinalhaven, North Haven, Isleboro). But a shuttle would help that out and create just a wonderful tourist excursion.
 #1516999  by gokeefe

shadyjay wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 pmCould this be a first... a line that was operated by a tourist railroad and will (hopefully soon) get Amtrak service?
Could very well be. I would note that Maine Eastern was not an "insular carrier" as defined by FRA due to their freight service. They were a common carrier operating an excursion service, similar to P&W but obviously with far greater levels of service.

Maine Eastern was an unusual case of a common carrier actually trying to make money on passenger service (or at least not lose any). Freight volumes were so low that the passenger operation had to be significant in order to work.

Very odd situation in many respects. Saratoga & North Creek (under Iowa Pacific) is another recent example.
 #1517042  by MaineCoonCat

swist wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:46 pm I rode the Maine Eastern Tourist train several times. And yes indeed, it's very scenic. The Rockland station is pretty close (walking distance) to downtown (even closer to the Lobster Festival), although it is on the West end. That means it's a bit of a hike if you are trying to connect to one of the Penobscot Bay Island ferries (Vinalhaven, North Haven, Isleboro). But a shuttle would help that out and create just a wonderful tourist excursion.
I totally agree. I think, done right, it could be quite popular.
Crossing the Sheepscot River. July 8, 2011
Crossing the Sheepscot River. July 8, 2011
SANY0133.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1004 times
 #1517136  by swist

Lot's of serious delays between Portland and Freeport last couple of days. What's going on? Something to do with the new siding?
 #1517148  by Dick H

As of 2:00PM Friday 8/16, there are only two seats available for #685 at Exeter
Hope there are not more than two passengers still planning to ride #685 for $5,
but have not bought their tickets yet.
 #1517165  by charlesriverbranch

Dick H wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:08 pm As of 2:00PM Friday 8/16, there are only two seats available for #685 at Exeter
Hope there are not more than two passengers still planning to ride #685 for $5,
but have not bought their tickets yet.
685 was listed as sold out when I checked last night, so I'm on 683.

By the way, just past Union Station Plaza in Portland, there was a track that used to curve off to the right and cross a bridge over the street next to Hadlock Field. I believe this track, which is no longer connected to the main, runs half a mile or so into the city and dead ends. I wonder what it was for? Could it lead to a new, more convenient station site?
 #1517169  by MEC407

Why are they trying to entice more people on the train with $5 fares at Exeter if the train has frequently been full at Exeter? Do they think people who paid $5 won't be mad about having to stand in the aisle from Exeter to Portland? The promo page for the $5 fare shows two people sitting in seats. They're going to have a lot of people yelling "bait and switch," and understandably so.