Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1631518  by NaugyRR

charlesriverbranch wrote:So... this train hasn't run since 2017?
Nope, Amtrak stopped after they changed their excursion and private car policies not too long after that weekend
NHV 669 wrote:It's run 4 times now, I just shot it on the WACR two weeks ago.
I think you're seeing a different train. The Autumn Express used to run rare mileage excursions on different routes each year, but Amtrak has very vehemently said "No more!"

Is it possible you saw the Ethan Allen? Or maybe a non-revenue move?
 #1631520  by CNJGeep

The annual AARPCO train ran up that way a few weeks ago.
 #1631524  by NHV 669

NaugyRR wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:13 am
charlesriverbranch wrote:So... this train hasn't run since 2017?
Nope, Amtrak stopped after they changed their excursion and private car policies not too long after that weekend
NHV 669 wrote:It's run 4 times now, I just shot it on the WACR two weeks ago.
I think you're seeing a different train. The Autumn Express used to run rare mileage excursions on different routes each year, but Amtrak has very vehemently said "No more!"

Is it possible you saw the Ethan Allen? Or maybe a non-revenue move?
Nope, that was absolutely the AAPRCO Autumn Explorer IV, considering it was advertised well in advance. It had Amtrak power into and back out of White River Junction, and ran parts of the trip as an Amtrak special, including the route of the Ethan Allen back down to Albany-Rensselaer . It ran the GMRC/B&R last year, and the B&R through to Burlington the year before.

Amtrak doesn't run on the WACR.... and the Ethan Allen is on the other side of the state. Might want to recheck your info, considering how well documented these moves are.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1631526  by NaugyRR

Gotcha, I see the confusion.

This thread and what charlesriver was referring to, is in regards to the former Amtrak Autumn Express, not the AARPCO train. The Autumn Express and Explorer are close enough in name where I get the mistake.
 #1632243  by Railjunkie

NHV 669 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:44 pm It's run 4 times now, I just shot it on the WACR two weeks ago.
I think you may have caught the AAPCO annual autumn trip. Private car owners get together for a jaunt through the Berkshires for the past few years. There may be tickets available but its big $$$$. Like previous posters have said Amtrak has not run an Autumn Express in years.
 #1637177  by Tadman

Does this train make money for Amtrak? Usually their non-timetable operations are supposed to make some kind of profit but given all the extra managerial work in finding a route and operating this special, perhaps that's why they stopped?