Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1447227  by ryanov

9800 was crew only (and family presumably). I was permitted to have a look around at the end of the ride.

Train changes direction only twice: once after exiting the NEC after HUNTER, and once in Selkirk. I sat in what was the rear cafe at the start of the trip the entire time. There was enough space in the end adjacent to 9800 to switch sides at Selkirk, so we had a river view the whole way.

I note that Amtrak never calls this a foliage train. In the last two years, it really hasn’t been. Still a nice ride.

There was a freight train blocking the view on the right side of the bridge by Port Newark. Left side had a good view there.

This trip went a lot more smoothly this year than last as far as keeping the train moving. I also don’t think we left anyone at the photo stop this time. :-P

Say, anyone know how car 82660 got so much exterior roof damage?
 #1447232  by hazmatmess

ryanov wrote:Say, anyone know how car 82660 got so much exterior roof damage?
That car was HORRIBLE! I was in it, carpet was damp, runner was coming up near the bathrooms, floor was wet. Definitely had some kid of leak. But was still a good ride.
 #1447234  by Railjunkie

shadyjay wrote:Rode the train today and enjoyed it immensely. For some reason, I don't recall going over the huge drawbridge after leaving the NEC - perhaps it was the one that had the right-side view blocked because of an adjacent freight. Wasn't expecting the cloudy/drizzly/foggy start to do the day, but it cleared up nicely. It was weird to be on a CSX line and have the right of way (for the most part, we crawled/stopped briefly for one SB freight, the rest were already in the hole for us). I guess in reality the train could have operated without the need to reverse direction at Selkirk, as there was a NB West Shore to EB Boston Line/Smith Bridge connector. But the backup move did permit fairness with splitting up the river viewing for all passengers.

Leading along the West Shore was 156, with the 11-car consist, then #642 and the #145. Was #145 on when leaving NYP or was it added at Newark? Likewise on the SB move into Penn, was 145 removed from the head end at CP Empire? If not, then can the shut-down P42 control an electric? I didn't make it up to the head of the consist before we left NYP, and I was sitting on the wrong side to see if the #145 had been stashed on the wye at CP Empire.

Great job by all those who were part of the trip and who made it happen!

Did you stop at any time around CP Empire. If you did it was most likely to raise the pans on the electric. If the 42 was cut off, it would have to be towed into Penn. The train brakes would have been re tested, wait for the yard crew to clear up either by going directly into Penn or clearing Empire and backing onto track one. That would have taken 20 min or better. I believe you arrived ahead of schedule so most likely they didnt touch the consist.

I didnt hear any straight diesels come into Penn last night. The wye is used for MOW storage and the flat cars used to platform work in Penn.
 #1447249  by shadyjay

Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:To Mr shadyjay's question about 145, it was on when we left NYP. When arriving earlier from PHL on Regional 150 I saw the AXP on the platform.
Thanks. Wasn't sure that a diesel could lead an electric and didn't know exactly what was happening at either the Newark or the Empire stops, as I did not leave my seat. I did hear the brake test being done.
 #1447308  by hazmatmess

Here's my son's reaction from Saturday after he read what train was on the board. Excited??? :)
TJ Autumn Express 17-1.jpg
TJ Autumn Express 17-1.jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
TJ Autumn Express 17-2.jpg
TJ Autumn Express 17-2.jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
TJ Autumn Express 17-3.jpg
TJ Autumn Express 17-3.jpg (56.21 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
 #1447309  by hazmatmess

And here are a couple of screen shots taken at Mine Dock Road by the Fort Montgomery Tunnel on Sunday. (I had permission to be at this spot)
Autumn Express 2.jpg
Autumn Express 2.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Autumn Express 3.jpg
Autumn Express 3.jpg (258.68 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Autumn Express 5.jpg
Autumn Express 5.jpg (111.24 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Last edited by hazmatmess on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1447364  by hazmatmess

It was a great trip. Second year in a row for me. I gotta say Amtrak plans a pretty good trip.
I did not see the anti train group but then again I wasn't looking for them.

Crowds alone the route were there. Especially when the tracks were right next to 9W near Newburgh. I think last year, the local paper in Easton Pa made a big deal about the trip and the crowd was huge there. This year, Ridgefield Park, Iona island, Bear Mountain and Ft Montgomery seemed to have the biggest crowds. At least on Saturday. I was at Fort Montgomery on Sunday and I got there about 1040 and there were three spots available to park.
 #1447379  by Mark_K

Sunday's trip ran smoothly and on time.
A number of seats in the middle and the ends of the coach cars had obscured or non-existent views. Not sure why or if Amtrak actually sold tickets for them. We ended up with terrific seats in the forward cafe car.

The backup moves (1) at junction of Northeast Corridor and LV line; and (2) at Selkirk, took place reasonably quickly.

The two longest delays (neither more than 20 minutes though I didn't time them): (1) on the West Shore, across the river from Indian Point, waiting for a southbound freight and (2) on the Selkirk Branch connector junction with the Hudson Line waiting for an Amtrak train that had already passed.

Unlike Saturday's trip, no blocked views on the Upper Newark Bay bridge.

The cafe cars were clean and well run. We had CSX crews on board for most of the trip as well as a number of Amtrak staff volunteering on their day off.

Lunch pack was fine -- the cooler bags came as souvenirs with the Autumn Express logo printed on them.

A man in the forward cafe car had a copy of the just-released West Shore book by John Ham & Gene Dauner which made for great conversation with passers-by during the ride.

Only letdowns, if you can call them that:
1. Disembarking at Rhinecliff for the photo run-by was bit of a drag -- short platform and not enough step stools. Getting back on seemed to go quicker.
2. Weather was overcast and later partially overcast most of the day. At least no rain though.

Saw varying numbers of photographers along the route. Stuyvesant, Hudson, Newburgh, and Ridgefield Park had good crowds, as I recall. One buff was perched about halfway up a cut just north of the Catskill trestle.
 #1447380  by kitn1mcc

shadyjay wrote:
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta wrote:To Mr shadyjay's question about 145, it was on when we left NYP. When arriving earlier from PHL on Regional 150 I saw the AXP on the platform.
Thanks. Wasn't sure that a diesel could lead an electric and didn't know exactly what was happening at either the Newark or the Empire stops, as I did not leave my seat. I did hear the brake test being done.
Yeah they can run the electric from the Diesel just like a cab car. I do not think they can do the diesel from the Electric. I heard when they came back in to test if the electric was working.