Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#881437  by Rail Boy

My understanding is that the original intentions for these engines was for the ARC service? Now what does NJT do with them? You can extend existing trains into diesel only territory (Hackettstown, WORMS), and you could run off peak Raritan Service into New York, but you still can't fit more than maybe one more rush-hour train into the tubes without making scarifies els-ware. What else can NJ Transit do productive with them?

Site Admin Note: Thread retitled to reflect current direction.
 #881446  by cruiser939

Rail Boy wrote:My understanding is that the original intentions for these engines was for the ARC service? Now what does NJT do with them? You can extend existing trains into diesel only territory (Hackettstown, WORMS), and you could run off peak Raritan Service into New York, but you still can't fit more than maybe one more rush-hour train into the tubes without making scarifies els-ware. What else can NJ Transit do productive with them?
What does NJT do with them... run trains I would imagine. You can't extend any existing service from PSNY until the FDNY certifies the dual modes for the tunnels and Amtrak certifies them for the NEC. At that time, you can extend M&E and MSU trains can go all the way to Hackettstown and Long Branch trains can get extended to Bay Head. As for the RVL, you can't fit any more rush hour trains through the tunnels, that's kinda what "at-capacity" means. In fact, that's exactly what "at-capacity" means.

"Dual modes, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh"
 #881532  by Jtgshu

I would hope that NJT would change the schedule and cancel at least two existing trains during rush hours and add at least 2 RVL trains into NYP, once the DMs are certified and have proven themselves....kinda like Gladstone midtown direct service...

Dual mode, once seat service into NY was one of the key "selling points" for the RVL folks of the Aldene Plan waaaaaaaay back in the 60s. Now that the locos are actually being built, wouldn't it be nice for this promise to come true to these folks who were first promised it a half century ago?

Just a thought.....
 #881623  by HBLR

With ridership growing and not really slowing, possible expansion to formerly served lines, and added flexibility, I ask what wont they do with them. As an electrical guy I can't wait to see these in action, pretty exciting.
 #881674  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:I would hope that NJT would change the schedule and cancel at least two existing trains during rush hours and add at least 2 RVL trains into NYP, once the DMs are certified and have proven themselves....kinda like Gladstone midtown direct service...
Haha, I know you have to realize what it would take for NJT to cancel two rush hour NEC trains.
 #881677  by cruiser939

HBLR wrote:With ridership growing and not really slowing, possible expansion to formerly served lines, and added flexibility, I ask what wont they do with them.
Ummm... NJT won't run them on the Dinky, ACL, and probably not the Gladstone Branch for starters.
 #881679  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:But honestly, are 36 dual modes necessary?
Seeing as 26 of them are coming already, there are actually some surprisingly good arguments for why additional dual modes should be acquired.
 #881681  by morris&essex4ever

cruiser939 wrote:
Seeing as 26 of them are coming already, there are actually some surprisingly good arguments for why additional dual modes should be acquired.

Why not prove that the loco is reliable first before ordering additional units? In addition does NJT really need that many to possibly extend a Midtown Direct or two to Hackettstown or an NJCL train to Bay Head? How many will replace the older diesel locos?
 #881692  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:

Why not prove that the loco is reliable first before ordering additional units? In addition does NJT really need that many to possibly extend a Midtown Direct or two to Hackettstown or an NJCL train to Bay Head? How many will replace the older diesel locos?
As I said, 26 are coming whether you want them or not. It's a done deal and nothing is changing that. If they're here, NJT might as well use them for their intended purpose. How many diesels get replaced remains to be determined based on how many are ordered. I'm not quite sure why you've decided to join to the nay-sayers bandwagon.
 #881731  by keyboardkat

jtgshu wrote:

Dual mode, once seat service into NY was one of the key "selling points" for the RVL folks of the Aldene Plan waaaaaaaay back in the 60s.

It was? I thought it was to eliminate the ferry service. Since one-seat service to NY was not accomplished, one wonders whether the Aldene plan was worth it, since it eliminated passenger rail service to all the communities east of Cranford, and service on the Bayonne peninsula. (The Newark Bay Bridge was dynamited and the Cranford-Bayonne RDC shuttle was replaced by a bus, what seems like centuries ago).

Perhaps it would have been better to retain through service to Jersey City, and simply replace the ancient fleet of coal-burning ferries with new, modern boats, and add ferry service to a midtown point in addition to the existing service to Liberty Street.
 #881778  by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:I would hope that NJT would change the schedule and cancel at least two existing trains during rush hours and add at least 2 RVL trains into NYP, once the DMs are certified and have proven themselves....kinda like Gladstone midtown direct service...
Haha, I know you have to realize what it would take for NJT to cancel two rush hour NEC trains.
I do understand, but with so many folks getting off in SEC and and many of the remaining folks getting off in Newark to Xfer to a Raritan train, it really wouldn't be THAT big of a loss and shift of ridership. God forbid an NEC train makes local stops and a South Amboy Local or Jersey Ave train goes away.....
 #881782  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
I do understand, but with so many folks getting off in SEC and and many of the remaining folks getting off in Newark to Xfer to a Raritan train, it really wouldn't be THAT big of a loss and shift of ridership. God forbid an NEC train makes local stops and a South Amboy Local or Jersey Ave train goes away.....
I dont know, 3737 and 3742 have some pretty high ridership numbers...
 #881823  by Jersey_Mike

Will NJT run them in electric mode as much as possible or pull an LIRR/MNRR and run them in diesel even when overhead wire is available? Also instead of canceling the contract perhaps they can have some of the units delivered as straight diesels.

Of course one easy place to dump a few is on the ACES trains.
 #881879  by CNJGeep

If I recall correctly, they will be running in electric mode where possible, due to higher hp output whilst in that mode.