• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

HBLR wrote:I've noticed wires going off onto the RVL where it branches off near the mccarter highway overpass, could they use these at all, or what's the story? Thinking they could end/begin electric mode somewhere near where it joins the corridor, is it practical? I mean it's far enough away from anything for noise from the engines coming to life to be a non-issue i'd assume?
You sound more and more like TRE every day.

Locomotive noise has nothing to do with where the engines will switch modes. Other than emergency purposes, all mode switches will be done while stopped at a station.
  by cruiser939

Jersey_Mike wrote: If all Bay Head trains connect with an electric at Long Branch then there is no reason not to eliminate that transfer once and for all. Since Long Branch trains already run to Penn Station, in the absence of new Midtown tunnel capacity those trains could be replaced on a one for one basis with dual mode powered trains. NJT could also replace Boonton and Hackettstown puse diesel service with Dual Mode service to Hoboken or extend existing Mid-Town Direct trains along those lines.
I applaud your ability to repeat what has already been posted...

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 43#p881446
  by morris&essex4ever

So can we count on the first unit being in revenue service by late summer/early fall?
  by cruiser939

morris&essex4ever wrote:So can we count on the first unit being in revenue service by late summer/early fall?
No.
  by R3 Passenger

cruiser939 wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:So can we count on the first unit being in revenue service by late summer/early fall?
No.
I hope that the reason for this would be that NJT will be running these things into the ground with tests before revenue service starts.
  by cruiser939

R3 Passenger wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
No.
I hope that the reason for this would be that NJT will be running these things into the ground with tests before revenue service starts.
That would be stupid. Running into the ground implies that NJT is going to use it so much that they will not work properly anymore. Why would NJT run the engines into the ground before they are even used in revenue service?

Yes, many test will have to be done and Bombardier will undoubtedly have some issues to fix/tinker with.
  by nick11a

And of course.... they could always add in some "MidTOWN Direct" trains to Bay Head during rush hour.

There are plenty of useful uses for these engines... NJT has to just be creative. Not too mention that they are inordinately useful as paperweights.
  by R3 Passenger

cruiser939 wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote: I hope that the reason for this would be that NJT will be running these things into the ground with tests before revenue service starts.
That would be stupid. Running into the ground implies that NJT is going to use it so much that they will not work properly anymore. Why would NJT run the engines into the ground before they are even used in revenue service?

Yes, many test will have to be done and Bombardier will undoubtedly have some issues to fix/tinker with.
I probably should not have used the plural form of "these things" above. What I was trying to imply was that I hope that NJT tests the first unit under every possible stress and condition that it would encounter in revenue service. After all, this is new unproven technology. I would certainly not want to get stuck on a train pulled by one of these things on the Coast Line.

Also, it would really suck if NJT finds out in revenue service that it bought a bunch of $12 million lemons. Gotta find the problems and find them early.
  by cruiser939

The units will be sufficiently tested before being placed into revenue service.
  by R3 Passenger

Thank you for your reassurance, Cruiser. I am really rooting for these units to be successful as designed, and not expensive POS like other equipment (to remain unnamed as to stay on topic) being delivered in the region during 2011.
  by Port Jervis

cruiser939 wrote:What does NJT do with them... run trains I would imagine. You can't extend any existing service from PSNY until the FDNY certifies the dual modes for the tunnels and Amtrak certifies them for the NEC. At that time, you can extend M&E and MSU trains can go all the way to Hackettstown and Long Branch trains can get extended to Bay Head. As for the RVL, you can't fit any more rush hour trains through the tunnels, that's kinda what "at-capacity" means. In fact, that's exactly what "at-capacity" means.
To be fair, "capacity" for the Hudson tunnels is what Amtrak says it is, not exactly the physical restraints of the infrastructure. If Amtrak would cooperate, I could see 2 or 3 slots for peak RVL dual modes to NYP becoming a reality.
  by Port Jervis

cruiser939 wrote:The units will be sufficiently tested before being placed into revenue service.
Said testing will have to meet with Amtrak's approval. Didn't Amtrak ban the PL42's from their trackage until 2007?
  by Jtgshu

Port Jervis wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:The units will be sufficiently tested before being placed into revenue service.
Said testing will have to meet with Amtrak's approval. Didn't Amtrak ban the PL42's from their trackage until 2007?
No, they weren't OFFICALLY "banned" they just weren't used for revenue service. There was nothing in the Amtrak paperwork that said THESE ENGINES CANNOT COME ON THE RAILROAD. Id have to look through my old timetables to see when Amtrak actually added them, but i believe it was well before then. Same with the "CNJ Geeps" - they are NOT banned from Amtrak. They DO have a speed restriction of 70mph however. However, Amtrak did "accidently on purpose" (probably) forget to include the CNJ geeps (4100 - 4112) from their roster of approved equipment with the last update of the system timetalbe and instructions, however, that was fixed by adding them in the weekly bulletins, so they are allowed yet again. I saw the 4111 on train 905 sitting at SEC (upstairs) a few weeks ago.

they can UNOFFICALLY be "not preferred" to operate over the railroad, but if push came to shove, unless a form D was issued saying that specific item in teh timetable was cancelled and those locos are not allowed they really could not do anything. They might be cranky and make a stink, but its in black and white. I think the PL42s on the Newark side was more of an NJT thing wiht a lack of crew and mechanical training on outlying Newark Division points. (aka Long Brnach, Bay Head, Morrisville, and AC). BTW, most of, if not all MN equipment (they are slow to update the renumbered/rebuilt MN locos tho) are approved on Amtrak.

yes, Amtrak has to allow the '45s over their railroad and approave testing before they might be added to the timetable, but i can't see why they would cause an issue. One would think the opposite in that they might require/want MORE testing, and check things out so they can be addressed quicker and easier than waiting til later on. Although you never can tell with those guys sometimes..............
  by Port Jervis

Jtgshu wrote:yes, Amtrak has to allow the '45s over their railroad and approave testing before they might be added to the timetable, but i can't see why they would cause an issue. One would think the opposite in that they might require/want MORE testing, and check things out so they can be addressed quicker and easier than waiting til later on. Although you never can tell with those guys sometimes..............
Given the chaos that would be caused if one of these new beasts lays down in one of the Hudson River tubes, I can imagine it will take a LOT for Amtrak to feel comfortable allowing them into NYP.
  by amtrakhogger

Why can't the order be cancelled just like the ARC tunnel?